Saturday, August 13, 2005

Nine Stories


I have just finished reading Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger. (it is actually nine separate short stories FYI) I loved it.....I'm just a sucker for Salinger. My top 3 out of the 9 would be "For Esme--With Love and Squalor," "Teddy," and "De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period" in no particular order. I would highly recommend this book even for those of you who don't like reading bc you can easily read a story in 30 min or less and come back to another one whenever you want. My mind wanders easily when I read therefore I think short stories suit me. I have read brief biographies online about Salinger and what a strange recluse he is, so I think my next check out from the library will be his biography written by his daughter. He's just the type of author you want to sit down with and ask questions or be his pen pal. Sadly I don't think he would respond as everything I have read about him says he is a recluse who refuses to speak to any media and who seemingly enjoys his hermithood. The question for today will be What is your favorite book? On another note.....we bought some ferns today for the porch.

7 comments:

Rachel Lee said...

Hey! Well, i'm a sucker for Christian Romance. But, I think it's Love Comes Softly Series book 2 and 8 by Janette Oke. They are really good. Hope you had a great weekend!

Mom I said...

I have read SO many books in my life that its hard to find a "favorite". But I loved reading the Little House On The Prarie series to my kids when they were young. I also really enjoy Piercing The Darkness and This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. I just LOVE to read. Of course I do alot of my "reading" by books on CDs and books on tape while I'm doing my walking. There's a big controversy now whether that is considered "reading" or not. I always have a second book I'm actually reading at home too, and that's a real book with written words and everything. None of my kids got my reading bug. But, hey, I love them anyway.

Anonymous said...

I'm still a sucker for John Grisham. There are some books I didn't care for, but I still read them.

April

Mom I said...

P.S. Good luck with the ferns. I could never keep mine alive. I just buy fake ones now. Course that humid Okie heat will be real good for them as opposed to our wet Oregon cool.

ktsdad said...

If I had to pick my favorite type of author it would probably be an attorney-turned-writer (e.g. John Grisham). But, in general, as long as somebody is dead and crime is being solved - I'm happy!
P.S. Ferns like moist soil and, if they survive till cool weather, they would be very happy in your living room this winter!

Laura K said...

My favorite book is Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Spear. It was a madatory read in 8th grade, and I read it very begrudginly. But when I was done I read it again, and I try to read it every October. It is a wonderful book. And contrary to what my mom wrote, I did get the "reading bug", but I just don't have time these days to do any. I have had the new Harry Potter since day 1 it came out and haven't had 2 minutes to start it. =( Good luck with the ferns. I love having plants around.
Love you guys!

Monique said...

I love the romantic novels by Jane Austen. My favorite is "Pride and Prejudice"

Related Posts with Thumbnails