Tuesday, September 20, 2005

So maybe I'm no Martha yet....


First of all, Mom, don't worry I have already learned my lesson. Last night I was cooking for Ryan and I and he was working late. I was having some trouble lighting our oven (we have to light it every time we use it--the picture is pretty much exactly what our oven looks like) and the lighter wouldn't work. But I had already turned the gas on. I dunno how long it had been but I finally gave up on that lighter and got a different one. By then the gas had been on for at least a minute or more with the oven door open so dummy me lit it and huge flames came up. I singed my arm hairs. Luckily my hair was back in a ponytail or I might be bald. My arms aren't burned but there were ashes all over my arms and when I wiped them away the hair blew away with them! So anyway that was my dumb cooking lesson for the week. Today's question is what dumb things have you done while cooking--hopefully they didn't almost endanger your life like mine did!

8 comments:

funnygirl said...

Hey girlie...this is Delisa...I had a cooking mishap when I was 8 years old or so...I was heating up a hamburger from Braum's...what I didn't know was that you couldn't put foil in a microwave...oops...thank goodness I didn't set the house on fire. Glad you're ok and didn't do the same.

Ticklelmeasian said...

Eh, it's not really during "cooking" but when I was 16 I was sent to the store to buy cookies for our church dinner. Our church at the time was out in the country kind of and the closest store was this gas station/market. So me and my friend got the cookies and as I put my car in reverse, I felt resistance. I cranked my neck around[] and I saw this gas pump start to lean a bit.... I pulled forward and my friend and I watched as the pump fell over with gas gushing out and tiny sparks flying. I didn't blow the country up that night but thanks to me they got brand new pumps and I didn't go back there until this past summer.

Laura K said...

Katie you might have just inspired people to pool their money to get you a new oven ( and given your moms heart attacks)!!! That's pretty scary. I remember when I was about 8 or 9 I tried to help my mom by taking a pan of cup cakes out of the oven with a dish towel and it caught on fire when it touched the heating element. Luckily my mom was swift and took outside and stomped on it.

ktsdad said...

Grandmother Dunham had a gas stove in her house in Henderson. Once when I got too close to one of the burners in my flannel pajamas while something was cooking on top of the stove, the flame caught the little "hairs" on the flannel on fire and it burned clear across my back, but it never penetrated the material, so I didn't even know I was "on fire!"
And then there was the time I was left at home by myself to heat up pot pies for supper. I knew the correct temperature to cook the pies on, but I thought you had to line that temperature number with the red light on the stove that told you the oven was on. By doing this I had put the temp on "Broil" and those pies were BLACK in 5 minutes!

Rach said...

Oh that doesn't soung good, but glad you're ok. Nothnig has really happened to me while cooking yet becuase mom is always right there waatching me. I love you!

April said...

Glad to hear you are ok. I would have been shaking. I, too, had a gas stove in NY. My problem when I first began to use it was figuring out how long it took food to cook. I was cooking chicken my first week there and it got hot so fast that grease was flying everywhere and it started a small flame. I learned to get a splash guard after that heh.

kmom said...

I'm so glad I did not find out about your near fatality until Dad told me about it as we were sitting down for supper. For fires in the oven, shut the oven door and turn off the oven. Experience is a great teacher. Love ya!

Mom I said...

I laid a large butcher knife on the counter by the sink. Then I turned on the garbage disposal and walked away for a couple of seconds to let it grind. The vibration from the disposal made the knife fall down into the sink and the knife went into the disposal then ricocheted out of the sink and through air out the back door which was across the kitchen. Thankfully none of my kids were in the line of fire. I have never forgotten that. The Lord protects the foolish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails