Saturday, March 18, 2006

Worst Date Ever

The only redeeming quality of my date last night was that my husband was with me. We went to the new restaurant Nova that we had heard good things about. Boo. We rated it a C and if you consider what you get for the price we gave it a D. Oh well our expensive dinner would be balanced out with a good movie at the dollar theater. We wanted to see "Fun with Dick and Jane" but it was sold out so we decided to see "Munich." I knew it would be violent, but not THAT violent. And somehow violence affects me much more when I realize that stuff actually happens. There really is that much hatred between Jews and Arabs and there really are assassins. I was depressed beyond words the rest of the evening. It did have a good message and I will use Ghandi's words to sum it up: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." So after that I have decided that I will no longer see political movies with violence that are based on true stories. Hopefully I can be held accountable to that but we will see. Today's question is what movies have deeply disturbed you? The first movie that comes to my mind was Cold Mountain. I remember being sad for a few days after that one and I kept seeing disturbing scenes from the movie in my head. Anyway it's raining in Oklahoma (yeah!) so I am going to curl up and watch some Oprah DVD's.

7 comments:

April said...

Not many movies disturb me that much. If I had to choose, I guess it would have to be true war movies. All the hurt and pain behind them just make me sad. Sad for the families and for the people fighting. I have such deep emotions now after being an Army wife.

ktsdad said...

My disturbing work was a book not a movie. I read "The DaVinci Code" before it gained media attention. I had been in the habit of donating my books to our local library after I had read them. This one I literally threw away hoping other people wouldn't read it. Little did I know what was about to happen.

Mom I said...

When I was a teen, my sister and I went to see Nicholas and Alexandra. I didn't know what the story was about, much less that it was a true story. The ending (where the entire family is gunned down by the "bad guys") shocked and depressed us so much that we sobbed all the way home. Yeah, its raining in Oklahoma. Love ya,

Mom I said...

P.S. We tried to watch Schindlers List and couldn't get past the first half hour. Any true war movie disturbs me. I remember the 1972 Olympics and don't think I want to relive that awful time.

kira said...

The Passion, I cried for what seemed like hours after that movie. Seeing what Jesus went through for us (through Mel Gibson's direction) made me so ashamed of how we seem to forget & disregard that on a daily basis.

Crash & 8MM also were disturbing movies. Crash was just so sad & 8MM was so aweful. I had no idea what the movie was about so I went into in blindly & it was aweful.

Carrie M said...

Cold Mountain had the same effect on me. I kept thinking about it for like a week after I saw it. I still want to read the book. Legends of the Fall is another one that disturbs me, so many sad things happen in it.

Lor K said...

I saw a made for TV movie called " Hiroshima: Out of the Ashes". That movie made me cry for a week afterward. As for Cold Mountain. I LOVED IT! I bought it as soon as it came out on DVD. =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails