Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Be Ye Kind to One Another

I honestly don't remember why we picked on him in third grade but we did. He didn't look funny or anything but he was the target of our whole class. He was the cootie king. We gave ourselves line line dot dot cootie shots everyday. I wrote about it in my journal. He had no friends, no one took up for him, and everyday on the playground I can remember running for fear of the cootie king. Then one day our teacher sent him on an errand to the principal's office. She had realized what was going on and gave the whole class a very harsh lecture on bullying and making others feel bad. I think after that we felt guilty and stopped. But I honestly have no memories of him past 3rd grade.

I found out this weekend that he took his own life. It makes me very sad for him, his family, and my own immature actions in the third grade. I know there were probably many things since that moment to cause him emotional pain and that I shouldn't blame myself, but I regret that I never took up for him and that I was part of the crowd who made fun of him. I can't say that if we had all befriended him things would have been different, but who knows maybe they would have.

"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: and be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savor" (Eph. 4:31, 32; 5:2).

3 comments:

April said...

I am so sorry you have to carry that on your shoulders. We all did things as kids that we regret ever doing. There are some things I still carry around until I get the chance to make peace.

Anonymous said...

I remember once calling a girl "M.R." which stood for mentally retarded when I was in 3rd grade. I felt awful as soon as I said it but was too peer conscious to take it back and apologize. I feel bad to this day for joining in on the poking fun. Hopefully we learn from our mistakes, and it sounds like you have. You've turned into a lovely compassionate Christian woman. Such a sad story though. Love ya Mom I

Mike said...

I suspect most everyone has called names or poked fun at another's expense. I suppose twice that much more was said behind your back. You can't blame yourself for immature acts. Things just happen. The important thing is that we learn from our mistakes and make changes in our life that would glorify God. He forgives us much easier than people do.... and more permanant. It is obvious that you have made those changes and that you will not sin again ...until next time.... when God will, again, wipe your record clean. Also....I doubt if cooties ever killed anyone. This young man was aflicted with more serious issues. But it remains sad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails