Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Land of Nod

Meet my book club. It consists of me and Lauren. We named it The Land of Nod because of something our boss always says. Yesterday we held a brief photo shoot (yes we are cool enough to have a photo shoot for our book club) especially for our blogs, so we could share with the world the joy of being in a book club. She is the one who got me started on the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, The Red Tent, and The Da Vinci Code. Then if there is a movie related to a book we read we rent it and watch it. Right now we are reading a book called I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree. It is a memoir from a Schindler's List holocaust survivor. It's a short read but a good one. The lady was a teenager when she was away at school and her family was given orders from the Nazis to be deported. She felt like she should be with them so she wrote a letter to the Gestapo and asked to be deported with her family. She also fell in love while in a concentration camp and they got married after the war and moved to America. The lady now works as a volunteer for children with AIDS in the hospital Lauren used to work at in California. After she finishes the book we plan to watch a film from the library about the Holocaust and then watch The Babysitters Club movie to make us happy again. And because she saw it at Ross and bought it for me because we both used to read those books---but who didn't. Anyway today's question is have you ever been in a book club? And if you started one what would you name it?

6 comments:

Mom I said...

I would LOVE to be in a book club. Wish you lived closer and I could especially love to be in your book club.

nanny mc E said...

the last book i read was charlie and the chocolate factory in the 4th grade. if i had one it would only be with kids books bc my attention span is that of a child. It would be called Arena Dr Suess and the Fat Actors. love you

kmom said...

I like the pictures of the two lovely bookworms. I'll think of a name for a book club while I think up a limerick.

Rachel said...

I've never been in one but that would be one and I have no idea what I would call it. I'll have to ponder it.

kmom said...

I have never been in a book club,but if I was I would name it PageTurners.

Mathias & Craig Families said...

I was involved in one, sadly un-named book club a couple of years ago. We read The Eyre Affair, interesting read. I've thought of starting up a book club myself but I'm not sure how it would work with mommies with young babies. It would seriously take me a week to think of a name & I'd convice myself it was awful & would change it at least a dozen times. Naming things is not my gift. Case in point, our annual Valentine's party I title, the Valentine's Eve party or the Eve of Valentine's Eve party, all depending on when Valentine's day falls as the party is the weekend before. Sad, I know, but true. Love you Katie! Wend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails