Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Fling Thing

Yesterday we spent the 4th of July with Jeremy and Michelle. They invited us to go swimming at these people's house that they house sit for sometimes, and who were going to be gone that day so gave us use of their mansion, cabana, grill, and pool. We gladly accepted. We got about an hour and a half of fun in the sun before it started to rain, but I still got a tan line so it's all good. Then we grilled out hamburgers and headed towards Liberty Fest in Edmond for our Fling Thing shift. We volunteered through church to help out on this thing.....not even knowing what it was. As you can see by the picture you are harnessed in and have bungee cords attached to you. You bounce on the trampoline below and a button is pushed to higher the bungee cords and make you go higher and higher. After about 2 minutes of training we were set to run this fling thing on our own. The highlights of my 2 hours there were:
1. A 5 year old who eagerly jumped up and wriggled with excitement while I put her harness on and told me she had been waiting her whole life to do this.
2. The many parents who watched their kids try to do flips and when they couldn't they belittled them by saying things like "you dork it's so easy just do it" or "go ahead and get off if you can't do it right." (this actually made me sad inside but amazed me how many parents said things like that)
3. A punk kid with a mohawk who told me he was 35 who kept kicking in the air instead of jumping. Then he kept pointing to his crotch to show his friends how his "package" looked with the harnass on. He didn't last long.
4. A 3 year old with a broken leg and full cast on, whose mother came in with him and told me it was perfectly safe for him to do this. She held him the whole time and pulled on his legs (yes even the broken one) to bounce him. He seemed to have fun though and cried when he had to leave.
5. A mom who was trying to convince her two year old scremaing child that she DID want to bounce. Then we went through "watch mommy do it, it's so fun and easy" while the child still screamed and people in line I am sure complained
6. A 10 year old girl who when her time was up stated "I don't see why I have to get off bc the girl on the other side was on here before me and she is still jumping." I said I am sure she will be done soon. To which she said "Can you please MAKE HER LEAVE BC IT IS MAKING ME MAD!!!!" Issues.
7. A kid who split her pants wide open while jumping.
8. The numerous amounts of little girls in skirts and dresses whose parents had no problem letting them do this even though the world could see up their skirts when they jumped. I felt that was a little inapporpriate.
9. One little kid asked Jeremy while he was harnessing him if this was safe. (who knows kid none of us have done this and and we've only been trained for 2 minutes but have fun!)

Anyway the night ended with great fireworks and I will have more pics to post later. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!! What did you do for the 4th?

5 comments:

April said...

Our family did the usual grilling out and outdoor games. This year the fireworks were being held at Pringles Park after the Diamond Jaxx played their game. We arrived at the ballpark around 8:25p.m. for the fireworks. The show did not start until 10:36 exactly and lasted only 7 and a half minutes. It took us longer to get out of the parking lot (25 mins.) then it did to watch the whole show. I was disappointed. My family and I came home and did our own fireworks show. We thought we would surely get into trouble, for we did not know that one of them went way up and was brightly displayed for a good minute. Overall we all had fun.

April said...

Our family did the usual grilling out and outdoor games. This year the fireworks were being held at Pringles Park after the Diamond Jaxx played their game. We arrived at the ballpark around 8:25p.m. for the fireworks. The show did not start until 10:36 exactly and lasted only 7 and a half minutes. It took us longer to get out of the parking lot (25 mins.) then it did to watch the whole show. I was disappointed. My family and I came home and did our own fireworks show. We thought we would surely get into trouble, for we did not know that one of them went way up and was brightly displayed for a good minute. Overall we all had fun.

lauren and brad said...

We worked on our flip house, played with our puppy Cali, and drove back to Oklahoma City during a most beautiful sunset and tons of roadside fireworks shows! However, it sounds like my evening didn't hold a candle to the fling thing phenomenon!

Erin Leigh said...

Your entry was hilarious. I sat on a rooftop in Brooklyn to watch fireworks to the right of me over the East River and to the left of me, over the Hudson River. And of course some idiots thought that even though it was illegal, they should shoot them off the roof we were on. It was pretty amazing.(The statue of liberty was in the background). On my way home, I fell asleep on the train and my cell phone, blackberry and credit card were stolen......yay New York! Someone had a happy fourth.

Anonymous said...

MOST, I repeat MOST of the C-clan gathered, as we traditionally do at the lake. Those who are scared of the water did not attend, and rumors are flying may be subjected to a lifetime ban. Oh-oh. Better punch your ticket NEXT year!

Uncle Kevin

Related Posts with Thumbnails