Saturday, July 01, 2006

Quarter Life Crisis

Last night Ryan and I set out to buy something. We didn't know what we wanted to buy, but the rules were it had to enhance our lives. We had no budget or expectations. While roaming through a bookstore at the mall, we browsed different books and thought we might buy one and take up whatever hobby it was about. I wanted to buy something that would change our lives in some way. We came across a book in the comedy section aptly titled "This Book Will Change Your Life." It was a funny book that gave different humorous activities to do every day for a year. We looked at it for awhile but decided not to buy it. Then my eye fell on a book called "Hello Laziness: Why Hard Work Doesn't Pay." I read through it and while a lot of it seemed true it only reminded me of current frustrations going on in life. I randomly told Ryan we needed to change the name of our blog to Quarter Life Crisis. He actually liked the name. It sounds a bit negative, but I actually looked up the term in the ever knowledgable Wikipedia and found it to be an actual stage in life first named in the 60's.

"The quarter-life crisis is a term, coined circa November 1965 in Toronto, by psychologist Elliott Jaques, applied to the period of life immediately following the major changes of adolescence, usually ranging from the ages of 21 - 29." To read the complete article you can click here. I found it to be quite interesting.

Characteristics of this crisis are:

* confusion of identity
* insecurity regarding the near future
* insecurity regarding present accomplishments
* re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
* disappointment with one's job
* nostalgia for college life
* tendency to hold stronger opinions
* boredom with social interactions
* financially-rooted stress
* loneliness

While I do not fit into every characteristic, a lot of it is familiar to me. I know lots of my friends have similar feelings, and I like that there is a name for it. Not that our lives are depressing and we are sad all the time, but I guess it is just the phase of entering the "real world" and it hits us in the face a little too hard sometimes. Hopefully we will exit this phase of life and have some time off before we enter our mid-life crisis. Anyway as far as changing the blog goes, I guess you will have to wait and see if we decide to change it. Today's question is have you faced your quarter life or mid life crisis?

So I know you are wondering now what we bought to enhance our lives. Well we ended up deciding Ryan should buy a guitar since his broke and I didn't even know he had thrown it away. And I bought some deliciously smelling lotion from the Body Shop. :)

6 comments:

April said...

I have without a doubt hit my quarter life crisis. Now that I am newly single and a single mother of 3, I face being lonely as well as financial stress. I am not too concerned with another man at this point, but I really do wish school would go a little faster. I am a little anxious to get started as a nurse.

Oh, I like the idea of the name for your blog if you decide to call it that. Have a good evening.

Anonymous said...

Well, as you know I am definitely right in the middle of my quarter life crisis. I think I have all of those characteristics. At least now I don't feel like I'm quite so crazy. Maybe I should quit threatening to change professions and just wait until this passes.
Celeste

brittny said...

I think I've heard of a book called Quarter Life Crisis. I should have written it! I am currently experiencing a quarter life crisis. I graduated from college May 05, and so began the craziness! Thankfully I have a husband to keep me grounded, but I wish everything else in my life was that together! I'm glad to know I'm not alone.
Hope you have a good 4th of July. I so miss being back in OK. Hopefully you saw some good fireworks!

Kira said...

OHHHHHH, thank goodness you found a name for it. I keep saying that I am going through a mid life crisis & people are not taking me seriously. So now, I will start saying that I am going through a quarter life crisis! Thanks for the analysis

lauren and brad said...

You of all people know of my daily crises. Thank the lord for the wikipedia to explain our insanity to us! I am just a little overwhelmed that it could last until age 29! AHHH! I have a ways to go :) At least we have each other to get us through! xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» » »

Related Posts with Thumbnails