Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Born into Brothels

Last night was another Land of Nod Book Club night and we rented the documentary Born into Brothels. It is a film about kids that are born to prostitutes living in the red light district of Calcutta. They are taught how to take really good photographs and through the selling and publication of these photographs, they are given the hope of a better future by getting to go to schools paid for by the sales of their own photography. It's a really interesting and uplifting film and I would recommend it. And the Academy agrees with me bc it won an award in 2005 so don't just take my word for it.

We also got to see Over the Hedge in the dollar theater this weekend and really enjoyed it. It, of course, is not a serious movie but is entertaining and has a good moral.

I'm done with reviews for today. The question is have you ever walked out of a movie bc it was so bad?I think I almost did during Vanilla Sky bc it made NO sense at all but I can't remember if I did or not. Ironically I think my husband really likes that movie. He would.

7 comments:

lauren and brad said...

Have you seen hollow man? because I walked right on out of it. it's terrible!!!
I had fun last night! Yeah land of nod...

Mom I said...

Rick and I walked out on Blue Velvet. It was a long long time ago and I can't remember any details. I just remember it was way too raunchy. I absolutely DO NOT recommend it.

Krista said...

I went to see City by the Sea at Northpark a few years ago. It was horrible. I sat in the back and made fun of the movie the whole time. It got the slow clap when it was over. I'm sure you know that the slow clap is dripping with sarcasm. I probably would have walked out had my friend and I not been having a great time making fun of it.

Rachel said...

I have never walked out on anything. I've thought about it before though!

April said...

I walked out of The Net with Sandra Bullock. It was not interesting to me.

Anonymous said...

We walked out on "Summer School" ~20 years ago. Chet & I had taken our kids and 2 friends (all under 10 yrs old) & the language & subject matter were not appropriate for adults or kids. Nowadays people would probably laugh at what the movie, but I still feel the same! Aunt Denise

Mathias & Craig Families said...

I actually walked out of a movie, can't remember what it was but I was with Ben Kester & we went to see Last of the Mohicans instead. I felt awful about it b/c we didn't pay to see that particular movie. . . I was such a rebel! Mom wrote bout summer school which I do not remember walking out of but I also know they walked out of Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure. Why they went to see it in the first place, I DO NOT KNOW! ~ love you! Wendy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails