Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I Miss Dr. J

As many of you long time readers know, I had a lot of dental drama at the beginning of this year. I switched dentists from a voodoo one and had cavities filled and had wisdom teeth out. Well it was time for my regular cleaning and I went yesterday. First my dental hygienist was poking my gums and complimenting me on how healthy they were. Then somehow there was a mix up and they switched dentists on me at the last second by mistake. He immediately started saying how UNHEALTHY my gums were even though the hygienist had just said otherwise. Then they argued back and forth about it. No my gums aren't sensitive and no they never bleed when I brush them and if that astounds you then I guess I am some freak of nature. Then he proceeds to ask if I have ever thought about braces because my teeth are all crooked (like I didn't know) and I said no I am very happy with my smile. Then he talked about my baby teeth and asked if I wanted implants bc "one day when I am eating a peanut they will probably just fall out." And I said I will just wait until that day to worry about it. Then he was TEXT MESSAGING someone on his cell phone while talking to me about my 3 teeny cavities he found. Yes 3!!! I brush my teeth more than once a day, I occasionally floss, and I don't drink a lot of soda. I don't understand. I just want a dentist who understands that I like my smile the crooked way it is. I don't want a fake, perfect, Stepford Wife smile. I miss Dr. Johnson! So tomorrow morning I go in for 3 fillings that will not require anethesia, because I am a brave little toaster. They want to put sealants on 4 teeth but they cost as much as a filling, so I guess I will see where we are 6 months from now. My budget for my mouth is out of control and I am considering doing what they did in the old days: having them all pulled and getting dentures. At this point I think it would be cheaper.

5 comments:

Erin P said...

What is this dentist's name? I was looking to go to a dentist in the next couple of weeks and want to steer clear of him! I'm all for text messaging but not while with a patient. And just for the record...I love your smile!

April said...

Did you know that when Shirley Temple was 7 she had dentures? It's true! Once her teeth started to fall out, the movie execs didn't want to ruin her pretty girl face. They went drastic on her from the start.

I do feel your pain though. I help my 3 little ones brush everyday. However, Maddie still manages to grab a cavity along the way. Yesterday Emily had one filled too! Maybe my parents are sneaking in some sugar when I am not around. I am strict on sugar.

lizcannon said...

hi katie, let's be friends through our blogs (since now we can't read lo's blog, what happened to her). let me just say, i would def get those cavaties filled, but then SWITCH. he is obviously crazy and better than your voodoo dr. you should go to Dr. James B Lowe in OKC (off may and nwexpy). he was my dentist since 7th grade until i just moved to CO. I love him dearly, and he's funny. his hygenist is really nice too. hope it doesnt hurt too bad tomorrow.

Erin Leigh said...

should i do the cheer? because I will but I dont want ppl to see it, but you know what im saying...dont you. We used to do it about your old dentsit. I love your crooked smile and cannot wait to see it in five days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not so little sister said...

I hate the dentist too! Ugh! Leave me and my teeth alone!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails