Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Prima Ballerina That Never Was......

When I was a child every year at the beginning of school the girls were handed a brightly colored flyer for Valerie Spraggins School of Dance in the neighboring metropolis of Jackson. They advertised all sorts of dance types: ballet, tap, jazz, etc. And every year I yearned with all my heart to meet Miss Spraggins and attend her dance school. I don't remember if I ever asked my mother, but it seems like I might have tried once. I knew the answer would be no. The negative answer was probably due to two things: The sin of dancing causes males to lust after females and someone would surely rape me upon seeing my 10 year old self trying to rhythmically tap out a routine to the song "Tea for Two," and the fact that I rarely stuck to anything that I wanted to do (i.e. never practiced the piano and wasn't much of a gymnast).

But this was different, I REALLY wanted to go Valerie Spraggins School of Dance. I would've given my right arm to don a tutu and some ballet slippers, or to wear a flourescent leotard and jazz dance like Stephanie Tanner. I had dreams about it. One of my most recurring dreams as a child was that I was in a dance troup (and my outift was a leotard with grapes on it and a matching purple skirt--I think I had a paperdoll with this outfit) and we always got right behind the curtain as it was about to raise, and then the show was called off. It was always because of some weird reason like a girl's shoe was untied. And my mother was our dance coach back stage who pulled the plug when the shoe wouldn't tie. I had this dream probably a billion times and we NEVER once performed.

So who knows, I could've been the Spraggins prima ballerina studying at Julliard now, but the world has been robbed of this treat. Although with my measurements and clumsiness I don't think it's likely I would've gotten past level 1 or 2, but I can still dream can't I? Yes, I can still dream.......

Today's question is what hobby or career aspirations did you have as a child that your parents refused to let you do??? P.S. Please don't post rude comments about my mother's decision to rob the world of my awesome dance skills, I know she had good intentions with all of her motherly wisdom.

4 comments:

lauren and brad said...

I think you would have made a beautiful ballerina.
I was one of the fortunate who took dance...the pictures are pretty atrocious in the younger years...the flourescent pink spandex with matching sequined headband. Those were good times. But at least, you will get to take dance lessons now!!! Yeah, ballroom!

Mr. T said...

The purple outfit you wore in your dreams...that was probably from watching too many 'Fruit of the Loom' commercials. The actors dressed up in fruit gear and danced thru the commercial advertising underwear.

Michelle said...

Umm I think Lisa Webb has an adult ballet class and I've been tempted myself to take it up.....it could be fun. I never took dance, but my bff growing up who sadly i seldom talk to was a wonderful dancer!

kmom said...

Dad and I do not remember you ever begging or asking to take dance lessons. I think you and Bethany dressed up as ballerinas in a Christmas skit one year. I do remember Bethany wanting to be a dancer. When I was in 2nd grade I wanted to take ballet, but I don't remember if I ever asked my mother for lessons. A friend brought her ballerina shoes to school to take lessons afterwards.

Related Posts with Thumbnails