Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Wiki Fu

Ryan Sez:

Wikipedia.org

I know most people who are hooked up to the Interwide Worldnet have at least a passing knowlege of what Wikipedia.org is. But never the less, since it is my turn to blog, I am going to tell you about it anyway. It is one of my top 10 internet sites that I visit daily. Maybe I'll share the rest with you some other day.

Wikipedia is a nifty little site where all the information in the world is convieniently collected in to one place and dispensed in delightful, bite-sized morsels. I know, you're probably thinking, "wait, I seriously doubt it contains ALL the information in the world," and you would, in fact, be correct. That was an exageration. A gross overstatement used to make a point. A hyperbole, if you will. The point is, it contains a whole stinkin' lot of information. All this information is gathered by allowing any user, anywhere around the world, free of charge, whoever they may be, to contribute to the wikipedia. Some average Joe can log on to the wiki, decide that it is sorely missing an article outlining the history of Transformers action figures, and subsequently add an article on that very subject. Then, some average Bob can read that article, realize Joe has overlooked the every important "Glowing Lightpipe Eyes" edition of Optimus prime from the 1995 Beastwars Colleciton and, with a click of a button, correct the oversight. It's such a simple concept, but it is also a very powerful one. This, in my opinion, is what the internet was meant to be. Wikipedia is an amazing accelerator for the diffusion of knowlege throughout the world. And this is still just the first version of it. Sure, it may not be 100% accurate, but it is good enough for me. My research paper writing days are long gone, so I couldn't care less if I'm not allowed to put Wikipedia in my bibliography.


I say all that to tell you this: Go explore the Wikipedia. Just type in a topic that interests you and read away, you never know what you'll learn. But you can be sure that it'll probably come in handy someday when you're playing Trivial Persuit.

2 comments:

kmom said...

Your article was extremely enlightening since I thought Wikipedia was solely devoted to extensive information about witchcraft. I had never checked it out. I am tempted to sign this anonymous instead of exposing my extreme ignorance. Now I will feel much, much, much better when Katie refers to something in Wikipedia in your blog.

Lor K said...

This is a pretty cool website! I was watching Dirty Jobs on the discovery channel the other night and they were doing the show on Geoducks (pronounced gooey ducks). I was curious to know more, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, and now know more than I ever thought I would about them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails