Monday, November 13, 2006

I dreamed I went to Mexico and woke up with pesos in my hand...

This weekend we saw Running with Scissors with Matty Tat Tat. It's based on the memoir by Augusten Burroughs about his messed up childhood. His mother suffers from a few mental disorders and allows her nutty psychiatrist to adopt him when he is a teenager. She states that she will see him in her dreams and convinces him she can do that because she once dreamed she went to Mexico and woke up with pesos in her hand.

While I do not suffer from mental disorders I do have a vivid imagination that makes it hard to determine if thoughts I have had really happend or if I made them up....especially when I start to get sleepy. The other night I was reading in my bed while Ryan was at the movies with Jonathan. It was late and for some reason I started thinking about someone breaking in the apartment. Maybe I was on the verge of dozing off and all of a sudden I heard someone say "Katie are you awake?" Then I was completely freaked out. Did I imagine someone said that or does the person who just broke into our aparment somehow know my name? I completely froze and couldn't say anything. Then after a long pause for some reason I said "I am awake".....I think I was trying to convince myself that I was. I couldn't move still since I had no idea what was happening, then I hear someone trying to open the back door. When I realized they had a key I thought it must be Ryan. He saw me and said "oh you are awake, why didn't you come answer the door?" I guess he had tried to come in the front door, but I had latched it so he could only crack it open enough to yell and see if I was still awake. I felt too stupid to tell him I thought he was a burglar because of my wild imagination. Anyway have you ever had a daydream or dream that got you all confused when you snapped out of it?

3 comments:

April said...

The only thing I can remember was when Gavin was a baby. He was finally sleeping through the night, but I still had the baby monitors turned to loud to make sure he was breathing. Becuase it was so loud, I would dream about the fan creeping slowly to Gavin's crib only to make him colder in his bed. Then one night I thought I was dreaming about someone actually being in his bedroom. However, I was not the only one. I suddenly felt the covers whisked over me and Johnny running towards his room. It was then I heard the man's voice. I was scared, but Johnny said that no one was in the room. Somehow our monitor had picked up someone's phone conversations.

Mom I said...

I too had a very vivid "dream" that a man was standing at the foot of our bed one night. I actually had my eyes open and thought I saw him, but I was in that half awake/half dream state. I remember that I was so scared I couldn't scream or wake Rick up.

Lor K said...

I went through quite a long phase when I would see bugs. There would be spiderwebs in front of my face when I would open my eyes, or gnats flying around beside my bed. This happened several times over several years. I would have to get up and turn the light on to make them go away.

Related Posts with Thumbnails