Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ebert and Isenberg

Here's a fun fact before I review the last few Blockbuster movies we've seen. Oprah Winfrey and Roger Ebert used to date. True story. It's in the Wiki.

One Night With the King--Is a movie based on the story of Queen Esther (yes the one in the Holy Bible) who was a common Jewish girl who grew up to marry King Xerxes (the same historical man that is in the movie 300) and save her people. I say based on because there are a few things in the film that aren't scriptural, but it's to be expected in Hollywood. The main story is pretty accurate though and the scenery in the movie is pretty amazing. I still liked it despite the minorly skewed plot and less than stellar acting. The funniest part though is how all of the extras really do look like Persians and the main actors are definitely caucasian, some of them don't even have a tan. Esther's childhood friend in the movie looks a whole lot like Brad Pitt. Oh Hollywood. Anyway I say rent it and read the book in the Bible.

North Country--Think Erin Brokovich but in a coal mine and instead of toxic water it's sexual harassment. This movie is very loosely based on the true story of Jenson vs. Eveleth Mines and was nominated for 2 Oscars. It's about women who faced harmful conditions from their male dominated work environment and were the first people to have a class action sexual harassment lawsuit. I liked this movie but it will make you hate men for a little bit afterward. And it makes me jealous that Charlize Theron is still beautiful in a jumpsuit, hard hat and goggles, with coal smeared on her face. It is rated R for the harsh language.

Jesus Camp--Wow. I think everyone should see this interesting documentary about a summer camp for evangelical Christian kids. And when I say kids I don't mean teenagers. I mean like 8 and 9 year olds and even younger who speak in tongues and are prophesying to strangers on the streets and bowling alleys about their eternal salvation. These are really smart kids but they have been misguided by their parents and ministers who want them to be radically trained warriors for Christ like the Muslims in Pakistan. I think people should see it and the extras, but I also think it's sad that this is probably how a lot of people view all Christians. Ted Haggard is featured in this film before all the scandal was out in the open. I could go on for awhile about this one but I will let you see it for yourself and gain your own opinion.

Hairspray comes out this week and I am pretty excited!! :) I wish they would have a sing a long one at the art museum like they did for Sound of Music. I would totally be there!

5 comments:

lauren and brad said...

good movie review! I have seen the first and last but not north country. I'll have to add it to the netflix. I thought Oprah had been with Steadman for her entire life! How bizarre to think of her with someone else...esp. Ebert!!!!

kmom said...

I hope you will continue to do movie reviews and note if they have an R rating and why.

Walt & Saundra said...

I agree with your mom, keep up the reviews! And have you rented "Simon Birch" yet? It's one of my all time favorite movies...I think it came out in the 90's though, so you'll have to hunt for it at Block Buster.

Mathias & Craig Families said...

Will rented One Night With the King about a month ago. I thought it was good too, though I totally agree with your take on the acting. . especially the guy who played Xerxes!!! YIKES! I will say that it inspired me to pick up my Bible & read Esther to check out the accuracy of the storyline. Ethne is making some weird noises so I'm gonna go check on her! Hope you have a GREAT evening! ~Wendy.

Lane Adair said...

Jess and I could not quit saying "omigosh" the whole time we watched jesus camp. pretty crazy stuff. North country was good too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails