Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Tale of Two Wendy's

These two topics are very unrelated but I just so happened to want to post about them both and they both have the same name so I hope you don't take offense Mrs. Mathias. :) First of all in the craziness of family frenzy 2007 I failed to mention the birth of Ethne Louise to Wendy and Will. Congratulations!! She was born on June 27th. Wendy and Ethne are both healthy and at home now. To see more adorable pics check out their blog.


The next Wendy I would like to tell you about is Wendy the Whippet. To read the whole story click here. The picture below is a little frightening so beware, I get scared everytime I look at it.

People mistake her for a pitbull with a pinhead, but Wendy the whippet is one rare breed. So rare that the Central Saanich dog recently graced the New York Times. She also had several of her photos shown on The Today Show, all because of a rare genetic mutation that has led to her being the Incredible Hulk of dogs.

Wendy was recently part of a genetics study done in the U.S. on mutation in the myostatin gene in whippets, which resemble greyhounds in appearance. The National Institute of Health study reported that whippets with one single defective copy of the gene have increased muscle mass that can enhance racing performance in the breed, known for speeds up to 60 kilometres an hour.

But whippets with two mutated copies of the gene become "double-muscled," like Wendy. It has been seen before in one human, and also in mice, cattle and sheep, says the study.

The uber-muscled whippets are called "bullies," not because of their nature -- Wendy likes nothing better than a good back scratch and isn't shy about sitting in your lap to ask for one -- but because of their size.


Isn't this animal cruelty? For more reasons than one.

3 comments:

lauren and brad said...

Ethne is so adorable! I love her!

Poor Wendy (the doggy). That is so sad but I'm glad to know she is a sweet dog. :(

Mom I said...

Hi kiddos. I finally have an opportunity to use Grandpas computer to check your blog. Love the pics. Sure miss you guys around here. Gotta go say bye to Mike, Deb and Matt. Love ya

Mathias & Craig Families said...

Katie, now how could I be offended? I only wish I had her muscle mass! That is SO CRAZY! I don't know where you find all these interesting stories. . I guess it could be the news, sadly, I don't remember the last time I watched the news! I hope you had a GREAT visit with the family, we here in Newberg loved seeing pictures of all of you in Oklahoma & Missouri! Love you & congrats on the new job! ~Wendy the human.

Related Posts with Thumbnails