Friday, November 16, 2007

The Facts Were These.....

It's been awhile since I've given you an update on my book reading. Which isn't part of the book club since the other half my club is having a baby ANY day now. But I've still been exercising my noggin with some literary pieces until she is ready to rejoin. I do update the pics in the sidebar though for you to see. I wish you could click on them and it would take you to a page about them but I don't know how to do that so you will just have to search on Amazon if you can't wait for my reviews. I'll start in chronological order.....

1. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers is about lonely characters in a small town. I read all these wonderful reviews about it and how the author became an overnight success with it when she wrote her first novel at 23 and blah blah. I just thought it was depressing and not that great. I don't want to be a negative Nancy so I'll move on to the next one....

2. Oh wait I didn't really like this one either. The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry (who also wrote Lonesome Dove if you know what that is...I don't but I've heard of it) started out ok but then it just had too much sex in it. It was about teens in a small town and their dramatic lives and some parts were comical but then it just got to be too much. Things that I won't discuss but that go against the book of Leviticus in many ways. Then I heard it's a movie....hopefully they left some parts out. This one was on our book club list but I have no idea who recommended it.

3. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller is "non-religious thoughts on Christian Spirituality" and is the book we are reading for our Bible Study on Tuesdays. It has some interesting points and different ways to view things that a non-Christian might find helpful when trying to under Christianity. Although I don't agree with all he says, he presents ideas in a unique way and we always have great discussions at the Bible Study. It's an easy read so I vote you can read this one if you want to. But it's better if you can get a partner to read with you too and discuss.

4. Forever in Blue is the fourth Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book by Ann Brashares. I didn't even know there WAS a 4th one until I saw it at the store and immediately had to go check it out from the library. I liked it, but not as much as the past 3. It definitely is on a more mature level as all the girls are in college, and I don't think is suitable for young kiddos as I thought the series was supposed to be. I hope they make them all into movies but if they wait too much longer the girls from the first one will be too old. I love the quotes she finds to put before each chapter. Here are 2 of my favs:
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." Vernon Law
"It's innocence when it charms us, ignorance when it doesn't." Mignon McLaughlin

5. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer is the one I just finished. (He wrote Into the Wild that I loved and am bummed I somehow missed the movie in the theater, so am anxiously awaiting for release in the dollar movie or on video.) This one is the true account of his trek with a group to the top of Mt. Everest in 1996 and the disastrous storm they faced that left many dead. He does so much research and I learned so much about that mountain and what happens to your body in high altitudes. Sounds a little nerdish but it was really fascinating. Some of the obstacles that he and his teammates faced and made it out alive are truly amazing. Definitely read this one.

Sorry I didn't like more of them to recommend but I gotta be honest!

To those of you who live in Oklahoma, Happy Cenntennial Day!!! I am celebrating by being stranded at home thanks to a broken alternator. But my hubby will come pick me up for lunch. There are parades and parties in Guthrie going on and most schools are out today. And there is a big concert tonight with all famous singers from Oklahoma. We aren't going but it's cool nonetheless. This is a long enough post for now so have a happy weekend!!!!

7 comments:

lizcannon said...

katie i think we are twins, i read that book (into thin air) starting the day i was leaving okla and finished the next day, it was so good, and i started to think i was one of them, and it was super cold here, so i felt like i was on everest :). i got to see into the wild, but am on hold at the library :(

Walt & Saundra said...

Walt's one employee (his brother) asked if they were taking "Oklahoma Day" off. Walt said no, but they would take the next one off. :) Hmmm...I knew he was a workaholic!

kmom said...

I appreciate your honest book reviews. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

katie,
a few summers ago I tried to read all of Larry McMurtry's books (I didn't make it, however Nobody's Darling is my absolute favorite). I decided after reading Last Picture Show and Texasville. Unfortunately, Last Picture Show the movie does depict the scene to which you're referring. I'd skip the movie if I were you. Texasville is not that bad however, I actually really liked it. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give you a warning!
-Benay

Anonymous said...

sorry, i meant to say after reading the books, i decided to watch the movies. duh!
-Benay

Krista said...

I haven't read Into Thin Air but I've seen a documentary called Everest that follows a group of hikers up to the top. It's not the same group that Jon Krakauer led but they mention that group at one point in the film. It was really interesting to see what the hikers go through.

Anonymous said...

have you heard of the new book Brown Like Coffee at brownlikecoffee.com ?

Related Posts with Thumbnails