Friday, November 09, 2007

I'm in a standoff right now......

...and it's with a cricket. Not a normal chirpy cricket but a disgusting spider like camel cricket. If you have never seen one of these I have provided a nice photo for you. For some reason in about August we started getting a ton of these on our patio at night time. I refused to take Charlie out at nights because they would be hopping around everywhere. I'm not a fan of bugs and I have gotten much more squeamish of them as I have gotten older....which doesn't make much sense. Nonetheless they are getting to be worse than my hatred of spiders. Ryan is at work, I am in the office at home, and for some reason I turn my head and see one crawling out from under the bookcase. And it's the biggest one I've ever seen. I scream, then get a shoe. I hit him but he still hops away under the bookcase. This happens twice. I call Ryan, ask him where the bug spray is, meanwhile I grab Lysol and am trying to spray it under the bookcase. I go to the garage and get the spray. Come back in and wait for him to make his ugly appearance. He hops out again and I spray him. He immediately turns color and flips on his back squiggly while I scream. Charlie is outside so she doesn't inhale fumes. Then I put Ryan's shoe on top of him. I just checked and his leg is sticking out from the shoe and moving around. So I step on the shoe to grind him up and then spray the whole house with the bug killer. Now I'm shaken up and the cricket is making me miss Ellen dance! This is the reason I have to have a husband. When Janine gets here in a minute I will let her lift the show to see if he is dead. Does anyone else have a problem with these nasty creatures?

5 comments:

Mom I said...

Yuck. I don't blame you a bit. I hope you have a nice cold winter so they'll all die off. I'm glad Ryan is a brave soul so he can kill all those nasty things for you.

ktsdad said...

It's genetic - you get it from your mother!

kmom said...

I got better with time. I think having kids made me a little braver. Once we had a huge cricket in our house that was big and black (about 3 inches long.) I put an old plastic bowl over it. I think Larry couldn't come home from work to kill it so I called up the neighbor boy (David Oliver) to come over. A fly swatter might help you, but a husband works best.

lauren and brad said...

oh my goodness katie! we have those same nasty things! brad swears they are crickets but i have never seen crickets that are this nasty!
so we have two dead ones in our bathtub but i'm too sicked out to remove them...and my husband still hasn't disposed of them either because they are just that gross...please don't stop being our friends....he'll get rid of them soon. :)

lizcannon said...

oh grossssssssssssssss, that is THE ugliest thing ever. ewww! We have lots of very giant paralyzed flies.... they are so fat, and slow, and they stick to the ceiling. but at least they don't hop. gross. i have used many things such as lysol and nail polish remover to kill bugs.... clorox, windex... whatever :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails