Sunday, March 09, 2008

I still read.....

Getting over this stomach thing hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be. While Ryan is wolfing down Cadbury cream eggs by the handful I am getting horrible indigestion from whatever I eat. I guess that's what happens when you don't eat anything for 48 hours, lose 5 pounds, and then try to eat like a normal person again. It's why crash dieting is frowned upon in the medical community. Anyway enough about my unhealthiness, it's time for a book review......

Listening is an Act of Love sounds like a marriage seminar title but it's actually an awesome book compiled of stories from everyday Americans. It was Ryan's Valentine's gift to me and is a really neat book. It's by Storycorps which is a corporation that celebrates American's stories through recorded conversations that are then archived in the Library of Congress. They have traveling stations across America and a stationary one in NY. You just schedule a time, pick a friend, and ask each other questions in a booth. What comes out of it is interesting stories about other's lives. They do excerpts on NPR and that is how Ryan heard about the book. Get it, it'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry, it'll make you realize we all have a story to tell.

Gilead is the book recommended by Ryan's aunt. She said it was the most beautiful book written in the English language so I figured I had to check it out. While it was well written, I just couldn't get into it. Sorry Dawn. It's about an elderly Iowa preacher in the 50's who is writing a letter to his young son because he knows due to a heart condition he won't be around for much of his son's life. It's more of a letter reflecting on the relationships between fathers and sons and the imperfections we all have. It wasn't a bad book, it just didn't have much of a climax or anything for me. Looking back it's amazing to me that a woman wrote it. It would be hard for me to write a fictional book from an old man's perspective so I give Marilynne props for that.

In Cold Blood of course is the thriller non-fiction classic about the rural Kansas killing of the Clutter family in the 50's that brought about a whole new genre of book. It was recommended to me by Pam and it is one of those books that's hard to put down--but will give you bad dreams if you read it before bedtime. I mean you know they all die, you know who kills them, but you want to know why. Capote really did his research well and he is an excellent writer. I am over halfway through the book and I plan to watch the movie Capote when I am done. It's about his research on the story and won a bunch of Oscars. I never wanted to see it because I didn't know much about it except that Phillip Seymour Hoffman had to talk in a really annoying voice to be Capote. Anyway if you like non fiction thrillers it's a must read.

That's all I've got for now until I get Eat, Pray, Love from Lo.

Please be praying for my grandmother and my family. She isn't doing well and hasn't been given a good outlook from her care givers at the nursing home. Please pray for peace and comfort for her and for all of us who love her so much.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

oh no! i'm right there with you though. the digestion is just not where it used to be pre-flu. sigh. glad you're getting lots of reading in though. feel better, dear. until then, cheerios have been working wonders for me.

Leslie said...

lots of thoughs.

Young Fam said...

Do you want to go to Annie this weekend? Ryan can come to, it's Saturday night, let me know!
Thanks,
Michelle

Related Posts with Thumbnails