Wednesday, July 09, 2008

4th of July

This post might be long but a slideshow wouldn't do it justice. I have to tell stories. To celebrate America's birthday we did something truly American and went camping with Nate and Janine and their kids (dogs). I have only been camping twice: once in Ireland in a tiny tent and once in Oregon in an RV, so I was excited. We went to Fort Cobb on Friday afternoon and pitched the tent. This tent slept like 8 but we just put 4 in it (plus 3 dogs). Some of Nate's family came too and we were next to his friends RV but we slept in here. After we got set up we took the dogs down to the lake and Charlie just jumped right in and started swimming. It was her first time in a lake and I wasn't sure how she would do. Then I think she realized what she was doing and got nervous. We put the life jacket on her and she would stay on the shore whining and crying and when the other dogs got near she would pull them out of the water by their life jacket strap. It was so cute! Then when she came ashore she held her life jacket strap in her mouth and pulled herself to shore. I think she thought she was playing lifeguard. I didn't get any video of her doing it bc we didn't have our camera when we went down the first time. But it was so funny. In the evening we watched the sunset. (see Nate' friends mom behind us). And played horseshoes. The boys went fishing while we watched the fireworks in the distance all around the lake. Then we ate smores and went to bed/tent. I slept well but was still pretty tired in the morning. We ate breakfast and took the dogs for a swim again. This time Charlie did much better and we did not put the life jacket on her. She would take running jumps off the rocks into the water but this is how the game of fetch usually went: The frisbee is thrown and Vador takes after it while Charlie waits on the shore. When Vador reaches the shore Charlie fights her for it...... and returns it to us. This pic might just be my fav. The two sisters waiting for Vador to return with the frisbee. Anyway then we went out on Nate's friends boat. Ryan and I went tubing and Ryan rode the jet ski. Despite wearing sunscreen he got a pretty bad sunburn but he's recovering. The dogs enjoyed the relaxing ride. They didn't try to jump off at all. And here are the 4 of us ready to pack up and head home. I'm looking forward to our next camping adventure already! Hopefully the next one won't be as dreadfully hot.

5 comments:

kmom said...

I didn't know dog life jackets existed. We also saw fireworks all around the lake while eating gooey marshmellows or smores after watching a super sunset. Before that I went on a fun canoe ride across the lake with Sandra and your Granddad C. Glad you had a great weekend.

Kira said...

I've been camping once as an adult & it was at mom's and I drug a mattress down from the house to use in the tent. I still am not looking forward to my next camping trip.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a really good time. As I remember, you are pretty good at horseshoes. Sorry to hear Ry got burnt. We went to some friends from church and had a barbque then watched McMinnvilles fireworks. It was fun but we were really tired by the time we got home. We roasted smores on our firepit the next night. Yum! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. Love, Mom

Leslie said...

i LOVE that charlie story!! what a hero.

Walt & Saundra said...

Yeah for camping! You should go in the mountains, colorado in the summer is the best!

Related Posts with Thumbnails