Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Book Review

1. What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancy is the book that we just finished in our Bible study group. I really liked it (except for Babette's Feast Chapter). I think it's a good read for everyone and is a real eye opener into how we treat all different kinds of people and how Jesus would treat them. It definitely makes you think and hopefully will change how you view some people. Grace is one of those things that I think gets overlooked in sermons sometimes and its a wonderful topic.

2. Moose: A Memoir of Fat Camp by Stephanie Klein is exactly that. A memoir of her as a child going to fat camp and how she still deals with the issue of weight today even though she isn't fat at all. I love memoirs. She is one of my favorite bloggers (see Greek Tragedy to the right) and has a great writing style. It's funny, it's sad, it's an easy read.

3. East of Eden by John Steinbeck was given to me by Pam. I think it's her fav book. I liked it okay, but it was a long read that drug on for generations...literally. The first thing I thought when I was done was this would be a good mini series and I found out it has been. Steinbeck is very wordy but this was a good family saga with Biblical allegory. I liked it much better than Grapes of Wrath which he also wrote. Pam is trying to convince me to read it again, but after I was forced to (and by forced to I mean I watched the movie and read cliff notes bc it was THAT BORING) in high school I don't think I can. Any book that ends with an old man breast feeding is a downer in my point of view. But no breast feeding was in East of Eden, so read it if you like family drama. It will most likely beat whatever drama you think you have in your family.

4. Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (ever heard of the Lindbergh baby? She's the mom) was given to me by Lo to read so therefore I guess it is a Land of Nod book club read. It was written several decades ago and is pretty much just a lady who took a retreat to the beach and made some very good observations about life and relationships and compares them to shells. It's really just some little essays put together. Sounds a bit hokey but it is really good. And really short. It will make you want to live a much simpler life and I like that about any book.

Also I just found out The Secret Life of Bees will be coming to the big screen with an all star cast and I could not be more excited! This will definitely be a Land of Nod outing. And I'm just waiting for them to release a preview for The Time Travellers Wife movie bc it is coming out in Dec. supposedly. Next up on my book reading list is A Prayer for Owen Meany, As I Lay Dying, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and possibly the other Twilight series books. I'm giving them another chance although the preview for that movie looks uber lame.

2 comments:

Nick and Benay Fossey said...

katie, i'm so glad you read east of eden. i'm trying to get everyone in my life to read it. the character of lee is my favorite.

lauren and brad said...

yeah for land of nod outings! xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails