Thursday, August 28, 2008

Retro Religion

One of the many perks of working at a 50 year old church that doesn't throw things away is getting to sort through items in the workroom (and every other nook and cranny of the building). Besides the 50 years of flannel graph I got to organize, Laura and I came across these awesome posters that are from the 70's. There were many more, but these were some of my favs. If anyone can explain this first one I will dedicate a post to you. No one gets it. Is "she" the girl who also looks kinda boyish or the cat? And what does that last sentence mean? And why the exclamation point? This next one is probably my fav. I might just let Beau hang it in the youth rooms. This is one I will actually frame and hang in one of the elementary classrooms because I like it. I hung one today that says Peace Like a River in a funky 70's font but I didn't photograph it. I would like to hang this by the nursery but it's too ugly. Still a good message though. And this one is hard to look at for obvious reasons. Thank goodness for stock photos on the internet today. I guess someone's blurry ugly grill had to do for their poster back then.

5 comments:

The McDowells said...

Seth enjoyed getting to stop by Mayfair yesterday and see everyone! Too bad he couldn't bring home some of those classy posters to hang around the house.

Gena said...

Those are hilarious. That first one makes absolutely no sense. Exclamation point and all.

lauren and brad said...

Love those! I wish I could figure out that first one. It's so vague!

Anonymous said...

i just want to say that I think the first one means that someone who loves the girl in the poster is not a christian, so they love her for the wrong reasons and they might be leading her in the wrong direction with their "unchristian" like love..... just a thought. :D Jessica Van Winkle

kmom said...

Maybe the first one is talking about a teenage girl who is in love with a boy who is not a Christian. Maybe she loves him too much the way he is or maybe she is planning to marry him even though he is not a Christian. The one with the baby crying should be hung somewhere in the building in a prominate place and it is not too ugly to hang somewhere outside the nursery. It has a great msg.

Related Posts with Thumbnails