Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Book Reviews

Besides dressing up Ben in Charlie's mullet wig, the Land of Nod recently went to see The Secret Life of Bees. We both looooved the book and both looooved the movie. It's probably good that it's been over 2 years since I've read the book so I don't remember all the parts the movie left out, so it seemed to be a good representation. Lo cried through the whole thing and I cried only in parts. That Dakota Fanning is a good little actress. It's not a sad movie it just has emotional parts. Anyway the book and movie are about a girl in the 60's whose mother died tragically when she was little and her dad is abusive. She runs away from home with her black nanny looking for answers about her past and finds that and much more. Everyone read this book and go see the movie.

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. It was on our book list and was recommended to us by more than one person. I, however, did not see any genius in it and was bored and confused through most of it. It's a short read and that's the only reason I finished it. If anyone reading this loved this book please tell me why? It's about a backwoods family a long time ago whose mother is dying. It tells (in odd language) about her death and the family's quest to bury her in the town where she was from. I vote do not ever read this book and if you see anyone reading it, discourage them from continuing.

Irresistible Revolution is a book by Shane Claiborne and is about his views on being an "ordinary radical Christian." It's an awesome read and has so many good points and truths. It takes a look at what "traditional" church is and what the church in the first century was really about. I didn't agree with all he said but it definitely makes you think about your beliefs, politics, religion and the whole shebang. I vote everyone read this book and then discuss. It would make a great read for book clubs or Bible study.


A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is the fictional story about a boy, Johnny, in the 60's and his best friend, Owen, who was born with a condition that made him very small and a voice that was in a constant high pitched scream. He elaborates on their friendship through the years and why Owen is the reason for his belief in God. It's a VERY good book and deals a lot with fate and the plans that God has for us. It's chock full of symbolism and is hard to put down. There's comedy, tragedy, drama, and mystery in the book and would make a great movie. The movie Simon Birch was loosely based on it, but doesn't cover nearly half of the book. I liked Irving's writing style and plan to read two of his other books soon "The Cider House Rules" and "The World According to Garp" (has anyone read these?) Here are 2 of my favorite quotes from the book:
"It's a no-win argument---that business of what we're born with and what our environment does to us. And it's a boring argument, because it simplifies the mysteries that attend both our birth and our growth."

"When someone you love dies, and you're not expecting it, you don't lose her all at once; you lose her in pieces over a long time---the way the mail stops coming, and her scent fades from pillows and even from the clothes in her closet and drawers. Gradually, you accumulate the parts of her that are gone. Just when the day comes---when there's a particular missing part that overwhelms you with the feeling that she's gone, forever---there comes abother day, and another specifically missing part."

My vote is to read this book. It's thick but you can do it. And that's all for this book review until I read at least 3 more!

4 comments:

jlair said...

Thanks for the book reviews! I have to return some library books on the 1st and I'm going to see about checking out a few of your recommendations!

kmom said...

I think maybe "Cider House Rules" was a movie several years ago, as in less than 10 and maybe 5. I think I saw the video or maybe parts of it. I may be thinking of a similar titled movie. It was about abortion. I know one is supposed to underline books, but I don't want to take the time to figure out how to underline on the computer since I forgot. I don't remember if movies are supposed to be underlined or in quotes.

Reeni♥ said...

I love the 'Bees' book, read it twice already but haven't seen the movie yet. Looking forward to it.

coco-ono said...

Lol, As I Lay Dying is one of my favorite books.

Related Posts with Thumbnails