Monday, January 05, 2009

I've been reading lots....

It's time for another book review and I have 5 for you. This year I don't have a resolution but I do have the goal to read more biographies. So if you've read any good ones leave me a comment and maybe I will just take a gander.

Remember Me by Sophia Kinsella was a fun read. I think I read it in a day because it is one of those mindless chick books that you can read in a few hours. The story is about a girl who wakes up from a coma and has lost a few years of her memory. The last time she can remember was when she was a struggling 20 something year old who liked to party and when she wakes up, she finds out she is married and filthy rich and in charge of the department she used to work in. The trouble is she isn't too sure if she likes this new life. It's a good read and if you want to borrow mine, you can bc Lo gave it to me to pass on to someone else. Any takers?

The Shack by William P. Young has been recommended to me by SEVERAL people and I think all of them LOVED it. Well I hate to burst your bubbles, but much like the Twilight series (gasp) I just didn't get into this book. The religious fiction story is about a man whose young daughter is murdered. A few years later he receives a note to visit the Shack where she was killed and spends a time warped weekend with personified versions of the father, son, and holy ghost. They teach him all sorts of spiritual lessons. First of all the tale was a bit hokey to me. I did like some of the allegories he made and it is a unique perspective, but the main trouble I had is that since he personifies the trinity, he speaks for them. And their words were not exactly quotes from the Bible. In some cases (from my interpretation) I felt they contradicted the Bible. I know it's fiction so I shouldn't care (I did LOVE The Red Tent) but there are many people reading this book, some that are Christians and some that aren't. This book should be looked at as fiction and I feel some people are using it to replace God's word so that bugs me too. Anyway read it if you want to know what the hype is about but it didn't change my life.

The World According to Garp is another one by John Irving that I randomly grabbed off Mr. Tevent's Shelf. I think another goal of mine should be to read all of Irving's books. I really like him and his books are never easy to sum up in a few sentences. It chronicles the life of Garp from his unconventional conception until his untimely death. There are many subjects in the book: life, death, relationships, feminism, trannies, parenting, love, etc. It's a comedy and a tragedy. I'll just quit trying to summarize it bc I can't. I hear there is a movie and Garp is played by Robin Williams. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this book played out on the big screen. I don't know if you readers out there would like it, but I really did. (I know what you are thinking "Katie, you liked a book with trannies and feminazis but not one with the holy trinity" and my answer to you is "yes, you are correct")

The last 2 books I will lump together. They are called Mortified and Cringe and I recommend them to anyone who gets a kick out of teenage angst or to anyone who kept a journal/diary in their pubescent years. The two books are compilations of people's submitted entries from their lost and found diaries. I laughed out loud through both of them and had to read many of them to Ryan. It was hilarious for me because I could sadly remember writing many of the same type of entries in my journals. As ridiculous as they sound, it truly is how teenagers feel. Everything is in the moment and dramatic. Everything is life or death. It also made me really glad to be out of that stage of life :)

While in Portland, we went to Powell's bookstore which might just be one of my top 5 favorite places on Earth now. It's the largest privately owned book store and is a full city block and 4 stories full of books! Many are even used so you can get a better deal. They also have a room of rare books for sale. I was tempted by the first edition Lois and Clark books for $35,000 but decided to save up for something else.

6 comments:

lauren and brad said...

I LOVE POWELL'S! I can't believe you had never been there! Isn't it delicious!!!

Noah's Mommy said...

Thanks...I've read all my Christmas Present Books...and needed to find some new ones.....

Anonymous said...

I've read Remember Me too and enjoyed it because I enjoy mindless reading. I finally finished The Memory Keepers Daughter and enjoyed it too. Haven't read any of the others you mentioned. I trust your judgment regarding The Shack so I won't be reading it, though every other person in the airport was carrying it during our Thanksgiving travels. Hazel is sitting here on my lap while I'm writing this and she just informed me that she loves Aunt Katie. Just thought you might like to know. I love ya too. Mom I

Ali said...

I'm a sucker for teenage angst! I'll have to check out that last one.

Katie Stacey said...

I'm stopping by from SITS and have had fun reading your book reviews. I've read the first two on this list, but have read the John Irving book yet. I loved a Prayer for Owen Meany though, so I will have to add it to my list. Thanks for sharing.

Yours Truly said...

Stopping by from SITs. I'm trying to read The Shack but havent had much time. I love book reviews though because I'm not very good at picking out good ones. I did however enjoy the twilight series, sorry you did not.

Related Posts with Thumbnails