Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The last time we had a long normal conversation was exactly 2 years ago this weekend. I called to tell her Happy Birthday and she was glued to the TV and telling me all about how Anna Nicole Smith had just died. I found the moment hysterical, that my 80 something year old grandma even knew who Anna Nicole was. My grandparents are funny in that they don't understand that cell phones make calling them all the way in TN pretty much free, so our conversations were and always are usually short. But this time I remember she and I talked for a long time. Ryan and I were about to buy a house, I had started a new job, and there were lots of life changes. She never made me feel guilty for leaving home though. Every time I talked to her, I remember her reminding me how much she loved me and missed me but that kids were supposed to grow up and start their own lives, and she was proud of Ryan and I. Maybe I am imagining it looking back, but I honestly felt like I knew somehow that that would be our last normal conversation, and I was sad but I knew I would always remember it...especially because of Anna Nicole. My grandmother had a stroke a few weeks later and after a year and a half in hospitals and nursing homes was finally at peace in June. I miss her at really random times (seeing certain things, stories I want to tell her, hearing certain church songs, etc.) and today just so happens to be one of those days.

Sorry for the downer post but I will eventually upload pics and have happier and craftier things to share.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about my own Nana and wish I could call and tell her something new.

lauren and brad said...

I know what you mean about missing them at the most random moments. Mine always seem to be linked to smells. I will get a whiff of something that is just SO grandma. What a wonderful gift that last conversation was. You will lean on that support she gave for the rest of your life.

TLKOREGON said...

Thank you for sharing! Grandmas are such important people and special parts of our lives. I am glad you have that last phone call.

lizcannon said...

that made me cry katie, so sweet, you know she's smiling

Shawn and Becky said...

That's so weird. I had a dream about my Grandma last night. I remember my last conversation with my Grandma last year before we lost her. We found out we were having a boy and she told me 'don't name him anything weird, okay?' I makes me smile when I think of it.

Anonymous said...

My grandfather has been gone for 10 years now. As my kids get older I always think of him and wish he could have been here for them to love. Out of 20+ grandkids, I was the only one he let drive his car or call to lecture me for 2 hours on boys. Getting to love him and know he is also at peace makes it easier when I miss him. Thanks for sharing those few memories of your grandma. She was a wonderful woman. I am glad to have met her. - April

Miranda said...

Oh, I'm sending you a hug! I can't imagine...I don't want to! But all the memories are so precious. It's nice to know that she is proud of you and that she loves you! Grandmas are angels walking on earth.

kmom said...

Thanks for the memories and the picture of Pop with his regular glasses. He still looks like something is missing without them, but we know they no longer help him. I do wish there was telephone capabilities up to heaven so we could chat with Gran once in awhile.

Brittany said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My "Pop" has been gone almost 9 years and I still miss him at random moments too. My other Grandpa just passed at Thanksgiving so that is still tough. I try to think it is just a part of life and eventually we will all have face it at one time or another in our lives but that does not make it easier at all. Miss you girl:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails