Sunday, May 03, 2009

First Life Lesson

Dear Olivia,
Your first lesson in life will be titled "When life hand you lemons, make lemonade," so instead of focusing on the rules of driving or the IDIOT* that almost killed us and caused a 3 car crash on the highway and sandwiched the poor Honda into a totaled mess, we will focus on how happy we are that you are ok. And because of the wreck we got to have our first adventure in an ambulance, we got to listen to your heartbeat for HOURS at the hospital, and we even got to watch you for a long time on the ultrasound. This time the tech pointed out every little thing about you, including your girls parts! Yes indeed, I saw them clear as day and I have them printed in a photo (although I won't post those on the internet) so now I can be 100% sure you are a girl! You have very long legs for someone your age, so I think you must get that from your daddy. We saw that cute profile and your fingers and toes and all your organs. At only a little over a pound you already are stealing my heart! Your first big present I guess will be a "new" car as I think the Honda will be done-zo. I really hope that was your first and last car wreck because I don't think I can handle another one. It did make for an exciting day I guess with Kira and Matt arriving at the scene before your daddy to comfort me, the nice highway patrolman who convinced me to go to the hospital, all the people who stopped to check on everyone (thankfully all of us were ok), and your daddy who arrived just when the ambulance did by parking at the top of a hill and running down into a muddy ditch to get to us....he really looked like a superhero that came from out of nowhere! It's nice to know how fast people can be there to take care of you in an emergency.....and how fast they can take your clothes off once you get to the ER, that takes talent! I'm telling you this lesson for selfish reasons because it's also a lesson I will need to remember myself when dealing with insurance people, the wrecker, the bills, and the car salesmen in upcoming weeks. As much as I loved my little Honda and our savings account that I don't like to spend out of, I love you more and I have been praying thanks to God since yesterday afternoon that all of us, but especially you, are ok!
Love,
Mama

P.S. I'm also praying that frozen vegetables placed on my sore neck and back will make the soreness disappear within a few hours.....

*Normally I will not allow you to call people negative names, because Jesus loves everyone...even idiots, but in this case it's the only name I can call him/her because they drove away before the police came.

And if you thought there wouldn't be pictures for this post, you were wrong! I didn't get to scan in the cute ultrasound photos, but how could we get away from a wreck and ambulance adventure without a few shots?! Here I am in the ER waiting for the nurse to come check your heartbeat. After we got checked out by doctors and nurses then we got wheeled to the 5th floor where we spent "protocol" hours monitoring you. The crash photos were taken by Matt. Here is my Honda smashed into the SUV (which very ironically was owned by a guy Matt works with) which was smashed more into it when the green car hit me. I am so so so thankful because I was about to get out of the car when I heard tires squeal and then this car hit me probably going 30-40 mph. If I had gotten out of the car, we might still be hanging out at the hospital....Apparently it is a good thing my air bags didn't deploy (that emergency light that's been on for 5 years was correct!) because all the nurses said it would've cause me more harm. But I was wearing my seatbelt!

Anyway to all of you who read this please be praying for us as I am pretty sore today and then for all the drama that will come in the next few weeks with insurance etc....

15 comments:

Carrie M said...

I am so glad you and Olivia are ok. I will be praying that you don't have to deal with the back and neck pains for too long. Put your feet up and take it easy. We love you!

Matt and Shannon said...

i am glad to hear you are okay but yes i do feel guilty for not answering the phone last night. let me know if you want me to bring you anything (food, crafts, lucy to cheer you up or otherwise). i will be there johnny-on-the spot! or if you need us to watch charlie for a few days while you recover. just let me know :)

Erin Cornell said...

I am SO glad you and Olivia are okay! What a scary thing and I'm sorry that you were on your way back from Edmond. We enjoyed the lunch with you, but wished you did not have that accident on the way home. I love you and Olivia and will bring you anything you need!!

Amanda said...

I am so glad you are ok. Even though we don't know each other all that well, reading this post made me almost tear up. I'm so mad at that "idiot". All these emotions could have something to do with being 2 weeks away from delivery myself. I suggest you go for a Hummer, the big one, as your next car. And when ever anyone gives you a hard time, just show them a picture of you pregnant in the ER. Get some rest.

Shawn and Becky said...

We are so glad you are okay. The guy who caused the accident really just took off?!? What a terrible ordeal. Good luck with the insurance, we'll be praying for you, Olivia and Ryan. So nice that you got to spend some time admiring her though. Way to stay positive.

Anonymous said...

I think the Hummer is a great idea, or at the least an old 50s or 60s Pontiac with a lot of good old American steel between you and the other cars. Ask Ry about Feihcrats (Starchief spelled backward). I thank God for protecting you and Olivia. Now I'll be praying that He helps you to heal quickly. Wish I were there to help out, but it sounds like your friends are going to be there for you. And I know Ry will take good care of you. Love ya, Mom I

Lyndsi Robinson said...

Wow Katie that is such a scary thing. Glad to hear you both are doing well. Take time to rest and don't rush back into the not so important stuff (work, laundry, etc. :) ). I am praying that your pain will go away, and the person that caused the accident will eventually turn themselves in!!!

lizcannon said...

holy crap?!?!?! were you on I-35? i saw a horrible wreck there once (by frontier city, stopped the car and ran like ryan to elp the lady).
anyways i am so glad you're okay. i think pregos can take tylenol, and that's what helped my neck when i got hit.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you and Olivia are ok. I pray that the soreness goes away soon. Love you!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

My boo, I just got a little teary eyed. I love you so much and im so happy that you still have that sense of humor through it all. Im going to come see you. i dont know how or when but i dont think coming to NY is a good idea right now.....so Im coming to OK. Call me when you are feeling up to par so we can talk about it. I love you and Ryan and little mama O. Thats what Ill call her...........no im kidding i wont.

Young Fam said...

Oh I'm glad everything is okay, that is my biggest fear driving with Cooper. Lunch soon?!?

H said...

Glad you and your little one are okay!! What a scary day!

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness!!! I'm SO glad you guys are ok and sorry for your soreness and everything to come. Thank goodness you're ok.

Miranda said...

Goodness! I'm so glad you are all ok! And got to get a 'tour' of baby Olivia! I love Ultrasounds and the calming sound of a baby heart beat...
By the way, I don't think I've seen someone look that great in an ER! :0) And *Idiot* is being very nice...

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful that you and Olivia are going to be OK. We wish that you, Ryan and Olivia were a little closer. We went to see Linda, Sonny, Kelly, B J and their baby to be this past weekend. They still want to be surprized. We love you all.

Grandmother and Granddad Collins

Related Posts with Thumbnails