Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mauricio: The Peruvian House Boy

I did not include a picture because I wanted to protect the innocence (and really because I didn't get one somehow) of this young lad. This summer my parents are housing an FHU senior youth ministry major and soccer player from Peru. He is living in my sister's former room, which is still purple. To make him feel at home, my mom hid the stuffed animals and added a ukulele and a sombrero....because those are Peruvian right? Despite me calling him a house boy, he isn't. He is, however, I think the son they never had. He spent ALL weekend helping with whatever wedding things they needed him too and even got the honor of being "chocolate man" and working the chocolate fountain at the wedding...a task not to be taken lightly considering the seriousness of the job according to the chef. He hung out with my out of town family at the hotel and drove my parents where they needed to go. This may or may not be because his car had 2 flat tires while we were home...I'm starting to wonder if my mom let the air out of his tires on purpose. He is very polite and fits right in with the family. My mom even leaves informative notes for him on the kitchen island like she does for the rest of the family. I think they will be lost when they are empty nesters again in a few weeks. If anyone knows of a foreign college kid needing a place to stay I think there might be a hole to fill....don't forget that my mom can even decorate according to their cultural heritage!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, you are hillarious. Talk to you soon. Love, Mom I

Allison said...

that is so cute! Great story!

kmom said...

He told us the other day that sombreros are Mexican not Peruvian. (I was going for a non-girly non-kiddy look.) Peruvian food is not spicy like Mexican.

Leslie said...

you're a blogging QUEEN.

Anonymous said...

He does fit right in doesn't he? LOL. Oh Catfish Cabin stories. Love you!
Bonnie

Related Posts with Thumbnails