Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rock Out with your Cloth Out!

Day One of cloth diapering went well. The first 2 we tried were too big (that's why they leaked) and the prefolds are still too big but the other fitteds worked and we went through like 12. Tomorrow I will be laundering them so we will see how that goes! For those of you wondering why in the world someone would use cloth diapers, there are many reasons but we mainly want to try because it saves $$$. It's estimated that to diaper a kid until they are potty trained costs between $2000-$3000. Multiply that by how many kids you have and it adds up! Every little bit counts so we will see how it goes! There are other benefits like not creating as much waste...which is obviously a good thing too. She's already been through over 100 diapers and she's only 18 days old! I still plan on using disposables at times, especially in the beginning when we go out and at night time. We have 5 friends that currently use cloth diapers and so it isn't as "crazy" of an idea as it may be to others. And cloth diapers have come a long way since I was a baby. There are tons of brands and kinds out there, just look at the cute one Olivia is modeling!! Anyway I'm no expert on the subject and we've only done this for one day so we will see what the future holds! I'll keep you updated because I know you are all very curious about how we choose to diaper our daughter....or you just want to see more cute pictures of her in cloth diapers :)

7 comments:

Kayla said...

That diaper is adorable! I don't remember even seeing them as an option with my kids? Do you have to run them through like twice to get the smell out?! Or do a rinse cycle? Very interested to know how it turned out!

Leslie said...

i can't comment on cloth diapers, but olivia looks like she's saying "TIGHT!!" in the first picture. as in, "my mom and dad are TIGHT for putting me in enviro-dipes!"

Jennifer Reinsch said...

My best friend LOVES LOVES LOVES cloth diapers and swears by them.

Missy said...

Thanks Katie for answering my question, but when I read you were using cloth ones I went back to the days when my mom would use them on me and I remember the horror stories that were told!!

~Christy said...

cloth rocks!!! :) that one she is wearing is so stinkin cute!!! See you thursday!!

lizcannon said...

i love love love that flowered one!!!! what brand/kind is it? when you find out certain ones you like, will you post on that?
not pregnant, but just wondering for future ref.

Leslie said...

thanks for the in-person tutorial on cloth diapers. now that i'm fully embracing the thought of motherhood, it's categorized in the forefront of my mind!

Related Posts with Thumbnails