Saturday, October 10, 2009

Newsletter: One Month

Dear Olivia
It's cliche' but time is flying and I truly can't believe it's already been a month! If this is how fast time is going to go by then you really will be headed to college soon! I'm going to try to write you a monthly letter on the blog since I may never get around to scrapbooking or writing things in a baby book, but I do seem to be pretty good at updating this thing so we'll give it a shot.From the moment you were born, you have always been alert. I first saw your chubby face when they held you up over the curtain. You had your eyes wide open and while the nurses examined you, you examined them right back with your big brown eyes. Not crying, just staring. When they brought you to me in the recovery room you just stared wide eyed at me for the longest time. I may have been in and out of it, thanks to lots of drugs in my IV, but I remember that moment. The nurses kept commenting on how bright eyed you were and how cute you were too!The first week you were home I seriously doubted my skills as a mother. I probably wasn't the only one since my mom stood by my bed in the middle of the night with you screaming in her arms because you were hungry and I was soooo tired (and maybe a little drugged on pain meds) that I didn't even wake up...and she stood there awhile...and you screamed the whole time.Now I can wake up when I hear you start squirming in the hallway--yes you sleep in the bassinet in the hallway right outside our bedroom door--but I rarely need to because you usually sleep for a 7 hour stretch at night! What newborn does that?! But you eat enough in the day and are gaining weight so I hear it's ok to let you sleep on! Granted I still wake up once during the night to pump for a few minutes, but that doesn't take near as long as it would to feed you....you are quite the slow eater.Your daddy and I were both very tired the first week and it was so nice to have some help in my parents (Grammy and Papa), aunt Amy, and Ryan's mom (Grandma). They all loved on you and you were held almost 24/7 for 2 weeks straight!Grammy got to stay longer than first planned and is with us again this weekend!! She just can't get enough of you and I'm pretty sure you like her too!









Since you've arrived, I have fallen in love with your daddy on a whole new level. I love watching him with you and from the moment you were born he was a pro. He has changed diapers (even the nastiest ones in the hospital), stayed up late nights, sang to you, read books to you, rocked you to sleep, and even come up with some very unconventional ways to try to put you to sleep too. Not only has he taken good care of you but he has been an excellent care giver for me in these postpartum weeks while I have recovered from a c-section and been through a nasty bout of mastitis. I'm already praying that you will find someone as loving and caring as your daddy is when you are grown up.














People often comment on how much hair you have, your cute little lips, your beautiful big eyes, your long fingers and toes, and your dark eyebrows. I never knew eyebrows on a baby were such a unique thing but people sure do notice them a lot. I can already tell how much you are changing: your hair has already gotten lighter, all that peeling newborn skin has come off, your cheeks aren't as chubby as they first were, your hair is getting longer (but thankfully not falling out!). With each thing I notice, I get a little sad and I want to freeze time. I want to catch each facial expression you make on camera so I don't forget it. The pictures are never as adorable as you are in person and no matter how hard I try I just can't capture in a picture how cute you are in real life! When I first saw you I couldn't believe what a beautiful baby we created....even in my wildest imagination you weren't that cute!Another thing that people notice...once they've been around you is your cry. You cry like a little billy goat with a very shaky wail. You can pout your lip out with the best of them (and I should know because I'm one of the best!) Your daddy told me in the hospital that you looked just like me when you pouted your lip. You are also an expert snorter and we often call you "little pig" because you snort when you cry and you snort when you eat and it's just too cute!This month has changed my life. Just 4 weeks ago I had a huge belly and was waiting anxiously to meet you and now I don't even remember what it felt like to be pregnant! Hours pass by quickly, but then I'll realize all I've done that day is feed you, rock you, change diapers, and watch you sleep. Who knew staring at a baby could be so fun?!














I can't lie though...this has also been the hardest month of my life. I have never had so little sleep, so many hormonal issues, so much pain, and so many crazy mixtures of emotions. I don't say all this to hang it over your head someday (ok maybe a little bit) but to let it be a reminder to myself of all we've been through and that things are getting easier. It's taken a month, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of this finally! Day by day I'm getting to know you better and love you more and more for all the things that make you, you! I'm trying to enjoy each moment and hold onto it because I know time will keep flying and the piling laundry and dishes aren't as important as watching my precious daughter grow before my eyes. I love you sweet girl!

Love,
Mama

12 comments:

Shawn and Becky said...

So sweet - congratulations on getting through your first month - and believe me it just keeps getting better and better! They are amazing blessings - watching you and Ryan go through this now brings back all the memories of camerons first year! Enjoy!

Jennifer Reinsch said...

So sweet. She is so blessed to have you and Ryan for parents.

ktsdad said...

Love the pix of Olivia in her great great grandmother's case! Papa

Anonymous said...

The suitcase picture looks like one of those Anne Geddes pics! So precious! Celeste

lauren and brad said...

Precious little Olivia Pig. :)

LOVE YOU ALL!

Leslie said...

such a sweet thing to write monthly newsletters! i love it. what's knitted sac is she sleeping in? seems sooo cozy!

Anonymous said...

That is the best letter to a baby I have ever read. She is so blessed to have parents like you two!! She's too precious! -April B

kmom said...

Well said!

Micah said...

She is so cute! Glad you feel like you're getting the hang if it! I had a rough time too. It is so much harder than I thought it would be! But so worth it.

Charla Cook said...

I love this, Katie! Thanks for sharing it with us. You have a beautiful family!!

Walt & Saundra said...

Sleeping 7 hours? You are seriously blessed. Don't tell many new mons this fact or you might be in danger for your life.

Miranda said...

This is so wonderful! I wish I would have thought to do this...so much changes with each child every month...you inspire me! Everything you do is so full of love and I'm so happy that my cousin has you in his life and that sweet baby girl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails