Thursday, November 19, 2009

Babies: The Invitation for Socially Awkward Moments

Seriously, I can't go ANYWHERE in public anymore without having an awkward conversation with a stranger. I think part of it is the fact that I smile at people...in the grocery store, at restaurants, in parking lots, I just smile at strangers when I pass them by. Well now that there is a baby in the picture, I think the smile/baby combo is an invitation for these strangers to talk to me...and of course give advice. They tell me things about how many kids I should have, how cute my SON is (even with a girly bow on his head), how I will give my baby colic if I don't protect her face from the wind, etc. I don't mind strangers commenting and just saying "how precious" or something like that, I don't even really care if they think she's a boy, but unsolicited advice and weird conversations are just awkward. I guess they can make for blogworthy moments though. Maybe I'll start keeping a better record.

9 comments:

Micah said...

I had all kinds of people talking to me at the store today! I've even had one little girl I had never seen before in my life come up and ask if she could touch her. I looked at her and her brown fingernails and said, "No. Let's not touch her. We don't want her to get sick." :) A friend of mine just wrote about this and unsolicited advice in her blog too. I guess all of us new moms get this.

The McDowells said...

Both Emma and Macy were both called boys on more than one occasion from strangers, even though they were smothered in pink. Who dresses their baby boy all in pink!?!

Roxanne said...

You don't care if someone says she's a boy? I HATE that! If I don't know, I don't say anything. Someone called Lexie a boy the other day and I was so annoyed. You must be more patient than me ;)
I smile at people too. I'm making a mental note to NOT do that with a baby.

amanda said...

people really think Olivia is a boy? Wow. She's the girliest looking baby girl I've ever seen. Those eyelashes! Man some people are dumb....you definitely don't want those ones touching your little one!!

Shawn and Becky said...

When Cameron was a few months old some woman in Target was ooing and ahhing at him and then went in for a kiss. A kiss - really?! She was a little confushed when I swung away from her with Cameron in my arms, but I don't care if she's a grandma, she's a stranger!! And I still don't know why people think they know your baby better than you do - your doing a great job with her.

kmom said...

I'm so glad Olivia is getting some fresh air and sunshine.

Morgandi said...

And it won't end soon. The other day, Chloe and I were walking into the store and a lady said to me, "Oh sweetie, it's too cold outside for her to wear shorts." I smiled awkwardly because Chloe was wearing pants. Long and warm pants at that. You gotta love those awkward moments!

Charla Cook said...

I love this picture of you two! It's so sweet.

devon lorraine ... said...

hello! i finally added your blog to my feed, and i've missed birthdays, holidays, galore!

this post reminded me that when i was carrying des through the mall to keep him occupied while lo was getting her nails done, people kept telling me how cute my baby was! at first i told them he wasn't mine, but after an hour and a half, i just started saying thank you and pretending he was mine. but i don't think i was smiling at anyone -- babies are HEAVY.

Related Posts with Thumbnails