Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Best Surprise Ever!!

So about our weekend....it's a long post but please read it all because it's so fun!

Yes that was Leslie all the way from San Francisco in the previous post below. I had never met Leslie but have been reading and commenting on her blog for a long time and she has also read and commented on mine. We became internet friends through Lauren and about a year ago she emailed me and asked if I would help her surprise Lauren along with some other camp friends who hadn't seen Lauren in 7 years!! Yes 7 years!! Of course I'll help! Months and months of secretive planning took place and on Friday night Devon from Chicago, Amanda from Canada, Trish from Connecticut, and Leslie from San Fran arrived at the OKC airport.

They came over to our house Saturday morning and met Ryan to begin planning the surprise, while I was at yoga with Lauren. She thought that her husband was taking her on an afternoon date and she would be bringing the boys over for us to babysit. When I got home from yoga (ironically wearing the same color as their homemade t-shirts) my blog friends were in my kitchen making lunch and working on a "faux post" at my dining room table! Was it weird for them to be in my house? Actually no, we already felt like we knew each other and gave big hugs!!Leslie's decoy blog post was supposed to trick Lauren into thinking that all the camp friends gathered in San Fran but actually all the photos were taken in OKC that morning. You MUST read that post here before watching the amazing video or else it won't make as much sense. So Lauren, Brad and boys arrive around noon and sit down in the play room while I am casually looking at blogs on our big screen. The girls are all hiding in Olivia's room across the hall and can hear everything we say. I say to Lauren"Hey have you seen Leslie's latest post? It's so cute you have to see it" so this is the video of her looking at the blog, commenting on how jealous she is, then getting the biggest surprise of her life! It's a little long but you HAVE to watch it because it's so stinking fun!!! (Ryan sneakily videotaped it and she had no idea)

Isn't it wonderful!! I love it!! The first time she gasps it's because she sees Amanda but I thought it was because she noticed it was Harkin's theatre in the background and I thought she figured it out. Then she gasps when she sees Trish and I thought she figured it out then too. And somehow she doesn't think it's weird that they made that video with their tshirt decor faces (which was a play on this video and a potty training book they got Ben) but then to top it off she thinks they photoshopped themselves in my house!! I love the squealing and I think it's pretty clear that we pulled it off and she had NO idea!Then we all had lunch together, hung out, and had supper together too! It was so fun to meet them, surprise the Schatzels, show off Olivia, and celebrate the old friendships that were made at a camp a long time ago and the new friendships that were made through my favorite media...blogs!

Thanks girls for a fun weekend and I hope we can meet up again someday!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I cried when she discovered her friends. That was so funny when she thought they had photoshopped themselves into Olivias room. I love those kind of surprises. Love ya, Mom I

tricia said...

i've been tearing up every time i watch the video. thank you to ryan for being sweet and secretly capturing everything on video! my favorite part is still when they comment on how high leslie is jumping and brad says "she is very athletic."

you were a great actress katie!

ktsdad said...

You crazy kids had way too much fun with this!

Leslie said...

watch out ktsdad, if left to our own devices, you may be next on our list of people to surprise ambush! :)

katie is the BOMB. in every way possible. she's kind and patient and loving and smiley and gracious and giving and does it all while looking so beautiful and gorgeous. i don't know how she does it, but don't think that'll stop me from trying to figure it out.

Jennifer Reinsch said...

That is FANTASTIC! The video is so funny to watch.

Erin said...

Is it sad that I cried when Lauren saw her friends? Like chin quivering cry? What a wonderful surprise and I'm so glad you were able to come up with an "alibi" to keep Lauren in town! Hurrah!

Anonymous said...

THAT. IS. AWESOME.
micca

lizcannon said...

i seriously started screaming too when she walks into olivas room. and waving my arms.
katie you did an awesome job!!!!!

Jo said...

hey katie-
i'm a friend of devon and leslie's and a follower of lauren's blog and now yours too! (hope you don't mind). this video is AMAZING and you guys are incredible friends to help with this whole thing! i cried my eyes out!
jo
p.s. olivia is PRECIOUS!!!!

kmom said...

Super fun blog to read and see. I enjoyed seeing Lauren run into Olivia's room to check it out and then see and hear all the screaming and jumping. I laughed and laughed.

Yellow Like Mustard said...

I almost teared up too and I don't know any of these people. I would have actually teared up but Blair kept asking me what I was watching, he ruined it! But I'm glad you have a fun weekend and made new friends!

Kelsey Craig said...

I totally cried watching that video! 1- I'm not a crier and 2- I don't know ANY of those girls! Such a cool surprise!

Micah said...

That is so fun! I loved the video. I don't know any of these girls either but it was great. My husband even stopped and watched the video. It is so funny when she says they photo shopped themselves into Olivia's room! Great surprise Katie!

Anonymous said...

It was a great gag and surprise....it's so nice to have friends like that...!! I really enjoyed watching it play out...Jennifer LeFlore

Related Posts with Thumbnails