Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Newsletter: 2 months

Dear Olivia,
I have several ideas for a good subtitle for this month's newsletter, but I think the one to sum it up on a positive note would be "2 Months: It's Getting Easier!" And it really is! We've still had many ups and downs this month and even MORE adventures in breast feeding if you can believe it, (I swear THAT could be a WHOLE other blog!) but overall I think we're getting the hang of it! It helps that you are in a pretty nice 3 hour pattern of eat, play, sleep most days. And I'm learning to read you better. I know that if you don't burp after eating you will throw up later (and most likely on me) I'm learning how to bounce you just right so you fall asleep faster. Speaking of sleep, you usually sleep through the night which is a blessing but sometimes--due to previously mentioned adventures--I have to wake you to eat. I'm hoping you keep the night time sleeping thing up, but if not I will adjust! You had your pediatrician visit the other day and you are doing great at 12 lbs and 24 inches long! So it's not just your hair that's getting longer (and crazier), but you are too! I knew that you were growing like a weed but I still have a hard time thinking how fast time is going by and how much you change daily. I try to take it all in and tell myself to remember every facial expression you make, but I know it's impossible.You LOVE to go places and I know this because you act so much better when we are out than when we are stuck at home all day! I think everyone at church thinks all you do is sleep because that is what you are usually doing throughout all of Bible class, church, ladies class, the fall carnival, etc. I'm not sure if this is because you like the car rides or because when we go out either I or someone else is usually holding you. Either way, I'll take a happy baby over a fussy one any day!I love watching you: lay in your crib while you kick your legs and stare at your stuffed animal friends, stretch and streeeetch after a long sleep, play with your daddy, nurse yourself to sleep, notice the world and faces around you, stare at your birdie wreaths while I change your diaper and sing the birdie song, smile even if it is at a light or a fan and not at me!
Your smile is definitely one of the things that has helped make this big life change easier this month. You're giving us feedback with your happy facial expressions and that makes any bad day seem alright! With that one little curl of your lips you can liven up an exhausted mama and convince me to keep going when all I want to do is curl up in the huge pile of laundry in our hallway, take a looong nap, and pretend the barking dog at the door doesn't exist. (sorry Charlie!)I'm also getting used to being peed on, spit up on, cleaning poop, and I'm becoming a pro at using fewer wipes to clean even the messiest diapers! Not much you do grosses me out anymore except for when you shot poop across the room one day while changing your diaper. Oh yes, projectile poop! I'd heard horror stories of this from other parents and knew my day would come and boy did it! After that diaper change I definitely became more cautious of my surroundings when your diaper was off!I love getting you dressed for the day, especially on Sundays because when else are you going to wear those cute little dresses? It just doesn't seem practical any other day so I feel like every Sunday we HAVE to take your picture because you may only wear that dress once!














I think this month marks the beginning of me feeling like my old self again. Becoming a parent is definitely a life change and I was well aware of that, but it has been NOTHING like I expected it to be. It's such a hard job, and all I'm doing is taking care of your basic needs...I haven't even really had to "parent" yet. All the range of emotions that new mommies go through is quite a roller coaster and I have to give your daddy credit for comforting me through all my ups and downs. I think I'm getting better at being a mommy, but now I need to tackle how to combine roles of being a mommy AND a wife. It's definitely getting easier but I wouldn't say I'm a pro yet! So my sweet daughter, please keep being patient with me and I will keep being patient with you and as long as you smile back at me once in awhile I think I can keep this up!
Love,
Mama

8 comments:

Michelle said...

mommy and wife......yeah let me know when you figure that one out!

Anonymous said...

Great job Katie. Olivia is beautiful and I can't wait to get there and see how she's changed. Hang in there. It is well worth all the long nights, pain, and tears. Love ya much. Mom I

kmom said...

She is really looking bigger! That first picture with her big eyes looks likes she is growing more hair in front. I want my grandchild to stay warm. (If Daddy has 2 covers on, then baby needs 2 covers on.) She looks especially cute in that polka dot dress. Congratulations on safely reaching 2 months! I love you all!

TLKOREGON said...

4 years from now you will have a preschooler who is NON STOP talk,a little sassy, and craaaazy busy. And you will watch her sleeping and it will zoooom you back to these days! When it was so easy to take care of those basic needs with no one talking back telling you "no mommy I don't want to wear that dress to church". YOU ARE DOING A WONDERFUL JOB!!!! One of these days you will have her so figured out she won't know what happended! That's when it gets super fun. Love you.

trish said...

you are the best mom, olivia is so lucky! it was wonderful to finally meet the three of you (or 4, counting charlie of course), simply adore you all!

Erin said...

Olivia is seriously always wearing the cutest outfits! She is too precious. We went to our breastfeeding class tonight so I'm glad to hear you say it's getting easier because it seems like it's going to be quite an adventure!

Shawn and Becky said...

This made me look back at my newsletters to Cameron in the first few months. Your doing a great job. It's such a whirlwind and gets better and better day by day.

Lisa said...

Olivia is as cute as can be!! Your newsletter is a great idea...
You mentioned the projectile poop! I have an unbelievable story about that from when Karli was a baby!! Its incredible how many places it can get to!! Glad you've had that experience now---You're a complete parent of a newborn now! HA! Keep up the good work! Babies are a LOT of work, but worth every second!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails