Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Day We Knew Our World Would Changed

Was exactly a year ago today. It was the last day of 2008 and the first day I had a glimpse into a world I couldn't have imagined even though I tried for the next 9 months. On Dec 31st last year we were flying home from a Christmas in Oregon. While we were there I mentioned to Ryan that I didn't feel normal...which didn't shock him because I'm a hypochondriac who NEVER "feels normal." But I told him despite one negative pregnancy test I took before we left, I really thought I was pregnant. He brushed it aside and I didn't say anything else to him about it. I had one test left in my bedside drawer and I secretly took it first thing after we walked in the back door at about 10pm. It immediately read positive and I beamed from ear to ear in the mirror doing a little freak out dance quietly in the bathroom. I decided to tell Ryan later while we rang in the new year together. I couldn't contain my excitement so I at least shared the news with Charlie, who didn't share my enthusiasm. I secretly wrapped the positive test and while we watched the ball drop on TV I told Ryan I had another gift for him. He unwrapped the test and then I started crying, neither of us having ANY idea the crazy ride that was beginning. We hugged and shared an exciting moment together and then prayed for the little one growing inside of me. We didn't know then how the next 9 months would change us, but we knew those little words on a stick would mean 2009 was the beginning our world would change forever. And it was the perfect way to start the new year: As a family.

December 31st 2008
December 31st 2009
Fun fact: while looking at these photos I noticed Ryan just so happened to be wearing the same shirt the day we found out we were pregnant as he was the day Olivia was born!

12 comments:

TLKOREGON said...

Aah. What a difference 365 days can make! Happy New Year! Love you!

Monique and Granny said...

God truly blessed you with precious Olivia.

Erin said...

Why did I cry while reading this post? This is so sweet. Ahh, the post-pregnancy hormones :)

Kayla said...

Such a fun story!

Anonymous said...

Love this! I still can't believe that the day we'd seen you in Nashville, you already knew that sweet Olivia was growing. I'm so glad she's now a part of our family. :)

devon lorraine ... said...

i like the part where you did the dance in the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

And l pray that life just gets better and better and you have many opportunities to do a little happy dance in the bathroom (and not just because you're pregnant). I love you guys so much and am sooooo thankful for your sweet little tax deduction. Happy new year to my favorite most wonderful son, and to his sweet wife who is Gods answer to my prayers for Ry, and their precious gift to us, Olivia Ryan, our #6.

Leslie said...

happy dance = me likey too!

can totally picture that.

lauren and brad said...

ryan looks much more dadly in 2009! :)

~Christy said...

awwww so so sweet!! i missed everyone at playgroup!! we took advantage of husband being off work :)

Shawn and Becky said...

So sweet. And I agree with Lauren - much more dadly looking this year.

Annaleise said...

I loved this sweet post! Happy New Year to you all!

Related Posts with Thumbnails