Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Paranoid Parent

Although I am a hypochondriac about my own health, I refuse to project this unhealthy lifestyle upon my child. I think I'm doing a pretty good job at it so far. I feel I am a pretty laid back parent who doesn't call the Dr. or nurse anytime I think she's acting weird or tired or fussy. In fact she's only been to the doctor for her well baby check ups. I'm not a germ-a-phobe. I let her drop toys and pacifiers on the ground then give them back to her without washing them off immediately. Dogs have been known to lick her face and I don't cringe. I don't freak out when she falls over or other kids pull her hair or throw toys that accidentally hit her. I figure if I'm laid back and calm then she will be too. Right?

However this scenario happened the other night:

Me: Ryan look at her ear. See those tiny purple spots?
Ry: Yeah. weird.
Me: Wonder what it is.
Ry: It looks like a bruise or burst blood vessel or something.
Me: Yeah maybe. Google it and see.
Ry: no
Me: Fine I'll google it. (BIG MISTAKE, I should know better!)
Me: (GASP)
Ry: What?!
Me: She has meningitis!
Ry: What?!
Me: (upon further reading) You know how she sleeps with her back arched sometimes? That's a sign too!
Ry: She sleeps that way because she's swaddled and trying to turn over on her stomach and she very rarely sleeps that way
Me: Or it could be tetanus! (reading further) And seizures are a symptom too!
Ry: She doesn't HAVE seizures
Me: It says LIP SMACKING is a sign of infant seizures! She always smacks her lips and sucks on her lower lip!
Ry: So do thousands of other babies and they don't all have meningitis or tetanus
Me: Or it says it can also be signs of autism
Ry: Well take her to the doctor tomorrow then, you're her mother

But my mother's intuition was that all was well, until I googled her! Lesson should be learned by now but obviously it is not! Today she woke up and seemed normal so I decided to quit freaking out about her and focus on my throat that is almost swollen shut. I thought it was allergies but now I'm thinking it's a tumor....maybe I'll google it....just kidding....

10 comments:

Kayla said...

Yes googling is bad. Wes googled the side effects for his chemo drugs while he was in the hospital. Bad move!

devon lorraine ... said...

oh no, do you think your throat is swollen from those taco bell mints?? :)

Jennifer Reinsch said...

Too funny. I google EVERYTHING.

Shawn and Becky said...

The Internet is a blessing and a curse. It's so hard not to google things because it can be so helpful at times - but so scary other times. I had some tests results come back wonky last year and I googled it and thought I was dying of kidney failure.

H said...

yes I have a love hate relationship with google also, its just too darn tempting!

Leslie said...

DUDE. You sound just like devon. Wait...didn't you have a weird lung thing like her too?

Chellie said...

This made me laugh so hard!
Did you ever take her to the doctor? Hope your throat is ok.

Anonymous said...

Katie, Katie, Katie, you are so funny. But I can understand totally. There were so many times that I would have given anything for my baby to be able to talk to me and tell me what was wrong. I won't tell you the many stories of my WRONG decisions regarding their health. But fortunately none of them have had long lasting consequences. I have faith that you and Ry will work well together when it comes to taking care of your kiddos. Sorry to hear about the throat. Love you and will see you in a few days. Mom I

kmom said...

Praise the Lord for sane husbands!

okcowgirl421 said...

Oh my gosh Katie - I was rolling at this. That is definitely a conversation that would take place between Nathan and me. I truly hope that I'm able to be even a fraction as laid back as you seem... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails