Monday, May 10, 2010

Newsletter: 8 Months "All the other girls here are stars - You are the Northern Lights"

Dear Olivia,
I feel like this month marks the beginning stages of you transforming from baby into a kid and while this is bittersweet I'm loving the kid you're becoming! You are constantly cracking me up with your ever changing animated facial expressions and noises, and I think you will see why just be viewing these pictures!You cannot sit still anymore and are on the verge of crawling. You get up on your hands and knees and have made slight movements that end in face plants and tears, but you don't let that stop you from moving all over the place just by rolling and scooting backwards! Just look at how proud you are of your perfect form! And you're even better at upward facing dog!After an afternoon of being outside you smell like a sweaty kid. You wake up sometimes with a snot crusted upper lip and I can't help but see a glimpse into the kid you're becoming!You take sleep very seriously these days and often wake up mastering a new skill. One day I found you in your crib after a long nap on your hands and knees for the first time. Or I'll walk in to you babbling new consonants to your stuffed animals. You even perfected your wave after a nap and shared it with me when I walked in the room. Now you love to wave at yourself in the mirror and at other random times (see video at the end of this post)
This month also marked a huge change for your sleep routine because we've quit swaddling you. Just another step on your way out of babyhood! You sleep on your stomach usually through the night. Occasionally we hear you wake up but as long as you don't fuss for too long, you put yourself back to sleep. Sometimes you wake up at 6am but other times you sleep in til 9.For the first time this month you reached for me and also cried when someone took you from me. I must admit it made me feel pretty special. One time it was your daddy picking you up to take you to bed and you screamed and screamed, but when he gave you back to me you instantly stopped. I think it wasn't so much about me, but more about you not wanting to go to bed...either way I felt loved.Speaking of crying you are mastering the art of the scream and I'm not happy about this one. I foresee future tantrums in public places and I cringe at the thought! You do not like it when I leave you alone in a room and you let me know it! If you are unhappy or bored you can let out a blood curdling scream that would send that old billy goat cry running for its mama...yes I miss that quiet cry for sure!You've been a big helper in the kitchen lately and get to practice your sippy cup skills while I cook. Then you sit in your big girl chair at the table and are so close to feeding yourself with two fingers. Mostly though you just like to feed the food bits to Charlie. You recently have tried green beans and carrots, but you still nurse for most of your meals.I'm so excited to be staying home with you now and look forward to all of the adventures and plans I have for us. I had so much joy and pride in my heart yesterday as I spent my first Mother's Day with you and tried to remember what it was even like before you were in my life. I might've got more sleep, I might've been more sane, but there is no way that I had more fun before you!

I love you!
Mama

Should we count that as her first word???


(lyrics in title are from the song Kathleen by Josh Ritter)

10 comments:

kmom said...

Yes!!! "Hi" is her first word! She also knows what it means to wave. She used to look like a big girl sitting up. Now she looks even bigger when she is on her hands and knees. What fun!

Anonymous said...

I too vote Yes!! Can you believe how much your world has changed in just 8 months. She is so so precious. Hope you had a happy mothers day and enjoyed your pb&j sandwich. Love you guys. Mom I aka Gma

kmom said...

Katie, she is looking like you when you were a baby. So cute!

Nicole said...

I say yes, it is her first word!! Go Olivia!!!

Anonymous said...

She is getting so big! Absolutely adorable.
Micca

amanda said...

She is definitely looking like a big girl and not so much like a little baby any more. Good work! Hope you enjoyed your first mother's day. This summer will be a great one for you!!

Anonymous said...

that is definitely her first word, and I have to say next to that my favorite scene is when you and Ryan have a look of shock on your faces after she said that, too cute! :D Jessica Van Winkle

Shawn and Becky said...

She's such a cutie. I love the picture of her in the glasses and necklace. And Hi at 8 months - so impressive.

tricia said...

i think she is ready to teach her first yoga class-she's got the moves!

lauren and brad said...

HI LIV!!!! I love the wave! Please invite us over so we can play dress up with you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails