Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Part 1: Even my teeth are sore

We had an AMAZING time in New York and while I wish we had gotten to spend more time there...I kinda don't because I was soooo sore that if we'd been there another day I would've had to tour the city on a Rascal. There were only 2 things that we HAD to do (Folk art museum and Ritter concert) and the rest we just played by ear and had a blast! Here are a slew of photos to make you jealous you weren't there getting sore with us.First of all I must give an award to Olivia for best traveler. She beats me hands down. I'm sure she whined and cried FAR less than I did on this journey (then again she did get pushed in a stroller or carried in a sling most of the time).We had a bit of a diaper dilemma flying into LaGuardia but after that we got a cab to the lower east side to find Erin and her cute apartment. We got a little walking tour of Alphabet City and ate at Life cafe (where apparently Rent was written--I found this out by googling it)Erin's bathroom was pretty tiny so Ryan decided it would be easier to give Liv a bath if he got in there with her...with his clothes on. The next night we decided a sink bath would be easier! Liv was so pumped to see her fairy godmother she had a hard time going to sleep that night, but after she got used to the place and noises she had fun having a sleep over with Erin each night. (Her roommate was gone so we had the place to ourselves which was nice!)The first thing we did on Thursday was go to the folk art museum to see the Henry Darger collection and the other art there. On the way there we passed Rockefeller center, Radio City Music Hall, and who knows what else. Everywhere in NY is a famous place so it's hard to not stop and just take a photo!
I was pretty pumped about the folk art and the only thing disappointing was that there weren't more works of Darger's displayed. It was an awesome museum though. You can see how huge the works are thanks to Ryan and Liv. Most of his paintings were done on the backs of newspaper or cereal boxes taped together. I got some souvenirs to frame someday. After the museum, we headed to check out Dylan's Candy Bar. We somehow refrained from buying any delicious candy but it was still a fun place to look around! Then we took a stroll through central park........past the zoo....and the boats........then to Alice and Wonderland and Hans Christian Anderson........past the "Friends" fountain...and the Falconer....then to Imagine.......then to the Dakota...all the while someone was taking a nap. Then just as I was thinking I was a rock star for walking 5 or 6 hours straight---the pain hit me. I took off my shoes and realized I had 3 blisters. Off to the pharmacy for band-aids, then back (limping) to the apt to rest before JOSH RITTER!!! I have to put it in caps because it was definitely the highlight of our trip!As soon as Whitney (friend from OC) arrived, she picked up Liv, and Liv waved bye to me. Like "see ya mom, ain't no thang that you're leaving me in a big city with someone I just met 2 seconds ago, I'm too cool for you to even kiss me goodbye, so later." She's her mother's child. And off we went to Times Square and Town Hall. The concert was amazing!! I loved it. Ryan loved it. Erin loved it. Everyone loved it! We didn't take any photos or video during the concert so just imagine how wonderful it was and go to one of his concerts someday and you'll love him too!Anyway this is enough photos and words for now so I will do two posts on NY. Up next the second half of our trip including Momofuku, the natural history museum, Fuerza Bruta and MORE!!!.....

8 comments:

Erin said...

I <3 NY and am so glad you had a fantastic time! I am quite jealous because I want to go back one day. Until then, I will live vicariously through you.

The Moores said...

Sounds like so much fun! So glad you guys got to go. So do you think you want to move there? Everyone I know who visits says they want to live there.

kmom said...

Wow! You sure were busy! Thanks for the report and pics!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great time too. I had to go look through my pictures of my trips to NY because you brought back so many great memories. I'll have to share some of my pics of our family trip. They might help Ry remember some of the stuff we did while we were there. Love ya, Mom I aka Gma

Monique and Granny said...

Looks like you had a great time!!

Jennifer Reinsch said...

Looks like you guys had a blast in New York. Olivia is getting so big. Just wanted to let you know that I have switched over to a new blog. That new address is www.gregandjennifersworld.com.

devon lorraine ... said...

ok liv's expressions are so darned cute. took me a second to realize that 'friend from OC' does not mean orange county. yes, i'm that californian. love that she let you leave without a guilt trip!! and, mmmm, can't wait for the momofuku post!

Leslie said...

OMG, you did NOT just hyperlink to a motorized scooter website!! ahahahaaaaAAAA!!!

and had i known you guys were going to be so mobile (read: sore-making), i would've sent over a much more extensive list. can NOT wait for you guys to get back there for the longer and more extensive version!!

also...sorry for the non-kid-friendly recs... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails