Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A shady deal

For those of you who don't know the history of mine and Ryan's automobile acquisitions the facts are these:

Ryan has a 65 Buick Skylark that he and his dad found abandoned with a tree growing through the middle of it when he was 16. They fixed it up and he's driven it ever since. That's 13 years folks. No AC, in Oklahoma, a few trips from here to Oregon and back in college, top down during rain storms a few times, smells funky, every thug in OK wants to buy it and they knock on our door to let us know! (I'll tell you the story of Simba another time)

I had driven my parents 97 Honda Accord since I was 16. They let me have it the second semester of my freshman year at OC and I drove it until I totaled it last May. I still am upset about this. And still dealing with insurance companies.

We have a 96 Corsica that we acquired after my grandparents quit driving. It made a wonderful third car for when the Buick was in the garage...which it was a LOT. Until I totalled the Honda and then we were back to a 2 car family. Except the Buick kept breaking down. So we decided instead of bumming cars from our friends forever, we would buy one.

We have never bought a car before. They have always come to us from parents or grandparents, so we really had no idea what we were doing. We knew we wanted a used car, no car payment, more reliable than the Skylark, and one that we could both drive easily. Ryan scoured craigslist and then researched recalls and car facts for weeks. He hates to spend money so it was a really tough decision and one made even tougher when the car we decided to buy was owned by someone who lived in Korea whose friend (who speaks VERY little English) was selling it for her. (sounds like a scam you'd hear about on 20/20 but it was legit) I was having second thoughts on our way to pick it up though. We were meeting him at his work in Del City and every place we passed on the drive looked sketchy. I began to think he was going to shoot us and take the money. I was glad we'd left Olivia at home....then I thought we should've brought her with us because he wouldn't shoot a baby or shoot her parents in front of her right? Oh great, now our baby wouldn't have parents! And we haven't finished our will! People will fight for custody of her! Ryan was laughing at me but I really was nervous. Then we pull up to a mostly abandoned office building. There is a wig store and a bar/club NEXT DOOR to a daycare covered with badly painted Disney characters. I took a photo with my phone for proof.
I decided to pretend to be on my cell phone the whole time because he wouldn't shoot Ryan if he knew I was talking to someone and could tell them where we were right? (this is the part when you tell me I watch too much 48 hours mystery) He really was a nice guy and I took a photo while they exchanged the dough because it looked like a drug deal.
I wish I could've stepped out of the car for a photo of them in front of the beautiful surroundings. We have now had the car almost a week and of course small things are breaking and making weird noises already and Ryan is probably having buyers remorse, but I am happy that he doesn't have to drive to and from work in a 110 degree heat anymore with thugs yelling out the window at him on freeway asking if he'll sell them his dope ride. (and I'm happy we didn't get shot)

The End

If you actually read this whole thing you deserve a prize. I won't give you one, but you deserve one.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We too are glad you didn't get shot and Ry now has a car with ac to get to and from work. And by the way, GET YOUR WILLS DONE!! (Sorry about the yelling.) Love ya, Mom aka Gma

TLKOREGON said...

Why wouldn't I read it...you tell good stories! Hope the new car works out well!!

kmom said...

Of course I read it all. Instead of paying with cash, you might consider getting a money order or whatever it is called from the bank. You get your imagination from me, but watching TV and reading books also contributes to it. Great idea about staying on the phone.

Erin said...

I love Craigslist. Shadyness and all. I, too, am glad you didn't get shot.

Jennifer Reinsch said...

Too funny. I especially love the "drug deal" picture. Glad you guys are enjoying your new car. Mine is currently in the shop having way too many repairs done on it...ugh!

The Moores said...

You guys should really put that car to the test and take a nice long road trip to...oh let's see...Idaho!

Monique and Granny said...

That made my laugh! I would have been the same way.

okcowgirl421 said...

Um, have you heard the story of us selling Nathan's RSX? Sounds VERY similar. Remind me sometime and I'll tell you, we can compare notes. :) It was also a Craigslist deal...

Linda said...

What?! After all that READING there was no picture of the car???!!

Leslie said...

damn. you totally caught me. and i went back and read every word. because i have to be a good student and get that gold star.

Related Posts with Thumbnails