Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ya heard me?

Chances are I might not have, if you spoke too softly to me in the last few months....possibly even a year.

But let's start at the beginning. Back in April when I slammed my hand in the car door. Not on purpose of course. I was with Liv at Target and clumsy me shut the door on my right hand. Afterward I had to sit in my car and tell myself I was a big girl so I wouldn't break down in the parking lot, but it hurt so badly I couldn't use it all day. (I'm a mom now, there's NO time to be injured!!) But when Ryan got home I broke down crying telling him I broke my hand but I was brave and didn't cry until he walked in the door. He said "put ice on it you'll be fine." Fast forward to July and after 3 months of saying "My hand still hurts" Ryan was highly annoyed with me. But I don't have TIME to go to the doctor and who wants to take a baby to the doctor with them...not me! Somedays were fine and I'd forget about it, but then others I couldn't type with my right hand or hold a pencil or grip a steering wheel without a tear forming in my eye. I became very good at using my left hand. But yesterday I'd had enough of the pain. Soooo I FINALLY went to the doctor.

And let me interrupt here to say that normally I don't enjoy 2 hour Dr. visits but I thoroughly enjoyed this one because I was alone! No baby, no baby daddy, just me. Ahhhh. I am perfectly fine sitting in the waiting room reading 3 year old Oprah magazines. You guys just take your sweet time! I should go to the Dr. on a Saturday more often!

Anyway they called my name and had me step on the scale. Normally I'm not too pumped about this part but the "official doctor scale" showed that I weigh 10 pounds less than before I got pregnant so I was super happy about that. (doesn't mean my clothes fit the same though) Then they x-rayed my hand. The doctor said she couldnt' see any broken bones so it must just be inflamed still so she wrote me up an anti-inflammatory and asked if there was anything else.

"Well now that you mention it, can you look in my ears? They seem to get stopped up a lot." And they really do! I promise I wasn't making something up to delay going back home to my husband and child. She looked in both ears and make a gross noise and said yep you have a lot of wax. Let's flush them out. I've never had my ears flushed before, and it hurt a bit. But the minimal discomfort was SOOO worth it! I kid you not blog readers, I think I have been living half deaf. Things were sooo much louder all of a sudden. I literally talked to myself in the car all the way home. My own voice sounded different! la la la LAAA! I got home and heard cicadas LOUDLY chirping in my yard...have those been there all summer? I excitedly told Ryan all about my new sense of hearing...it's like I'm a new person! I'm sure all Ryan was thinking was "what about your broken hand?"

So the moral of the story is: Don't wait to check on your broken hand, but if you do you might weigh even less than you thought AND improve your hearing!

8 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

Just to clarify...Ryan was NOT annoyed that my hand was still hurting, he was annoyed that I wouldn't go to the Doctor to find out about it.

Erin said...

I've had my ears irrigated before and despite the disgusting-ness that comes out, I love it too! I was even off balance a little bit of the day!

lauren and brad said...

you are funny.

Kira said...

Matt & I candled our ear wax one time. I liked it. So I did it again & then my ears rang for a week.

H said...

I have to have my ears professionally cleaned out like that once every othe year!! it is so nice to hear better!

kmom said...

I'm wondering why we didn't hear about this when we were visiting with you. Is Olivia's crying louder now?

kmom said...

I do remember you saying something about slamming your hand in the car door, but it was a passing comment and I thought it was no big deal. Super great you have lost more than your baby weight, especially since you are breastfeeding. Way to go, stroller pusher!

Leslie said...

dude. you should talk to jen green about ear candling. she loves it! glad your hand's not broken, but not glad it's still hurty. boo.

Related Posts with Thumbnails