Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Book Review

First of all I don't want to leave you hanging: I finished Committed and I really liked it. Didn't agree with all of it, but still an interesting read. In related Elizabeth Gilbert news, I plan on seeing the movie Eat, Pray, Love with playgroup mommies this weekend.

The Help is the book I think everyone and their dog is reading right now and they should be because it was awesome! I finished it in like 3 or 4 days...which is quite an accomplishment when also chasing a baby around. It's one of those with a little bit of everything that keeps you turning the pages. (I'm tired of doing "Reading Rainbow" style book reviews so for the most part I'm just going to tell you if I like it and you can click on the title to see what it's about if you care to know!)

How My Breasts Saved the World was given to me by a mommy friend and it couldn't have come at a better time. I seriously could've written this book. I related to just about everything in it and found it humorous and touching. Only people who are breastfeeding would probably enjoy this, so the rest of you can forget it. I was reading it during a rough patch in nursing and it was the encouragement I needed to keep on keeping on.

An awesome kids book that I love and have loved since I read it to baby Ben Schatzel awhile back is called Who Needs Donuts? It was originally written in the 70's and then brought back into publication by popular demand. The story is completely wacky but I love, love love the illustrations. Here is a sampling to share with you.
And some close up shots.

I recently took Liv to the library for the first time. She really liked playing in the kids area and looking through books (AKA pulling tons off the shelves). I ended up checking out some putumayo kids CDs and love them! (I'm high class now that I have a cd player in my car for the first time!) They are kid songs from different cultures around the world. We checked out the folk songs and celtic songs, but I'm anxious to hear the others. So far my favorite song is Sheep by Zoe Lewis.

Aaannyway back to books. Books I'm currently reading include The Hobbit (I'm trying real hard but when a more interesting book comes along I don't feel quite as "tookish" and end up putting Bilbo down), Nine Stories (I've read a few times before but I need a little Salinger in my soul always), and Winter Garden is the selection for the new book club I'm in. It's starting out kind of slow but I have hope it will get better. I'll let you know how I feel about these in my next review!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished Winter Garden by Hannah Kristin and I liked it. Is that the one you're talking about? Hey, are you going to bid on the Salinger toilet that is for sale. It's only supposed to go for around $1,000,000. Maybe I can get it for you for Christmas. I think a toilet would be considered a "tool or gadget". I'm so glad you're getting Olivia acquainted with her library. Its one of Grandmas favorite places to go.

Michelle said...

I can't believe you've never met Jenny....thanks for your sweet compliment. It was right before we went to church, so basically the only day I look decent! I'm thinking about getting the kindle app on my phone so I can read books. Since I live out in the middle of no where. I may have to invest in how my breast saved the world....what are you up to the Sept. 9th? Maybe we could meet for cupcakes when I come into town that afternoon? Let me know!

Leslie said...

i wonder if devon has the boobie book yet and if you'd be interested in decluttering your bookshelf by mailing it over.....

:)

Leslie said...

i've had the help on my bedside table for months. should i really read it?

The McDowells said...

I will get the donut book for the kids on our next library trip! Thanks! Now that Olivia is starting to go to the library, a good book with recommendations for children's books is "Honey for a Child's Heart". There are even recommendations in it for Olivia's age.

kmom said...

One of the best donut shops in the country is reportly VooDoo Donuts in Portland, Oregon. Have you or Ryan's relatives been there?

Related Posts with Thumbnails