Monday, September 20, 2010

Bibliophile

Did anyone else do the BOOK IT! Program as a kid? If so then you'll understand my reference when I say I think I deserve a huge pin for my jean jacket and a free pizza from Pizza Hut from all the books I've been reading! Once again I won't really tell you too much about the book plots (but I will provide you a link to it so you can read about them yourself), just my feelings after reading them:

I read Nine Stories for the second or third time in my life and still enjoyed about 4 or 5 of the tales. It takes a special person to like Salinger and unless you are special you won't. Thankfully I'm "special"...that's what my sister always said anyway. I kind of thought my husband might've been Teddy in another life after reading it.

Winter Garden (book club selection) was kind of a downer but I did read it pretty fast so I must've enjoyed it. It had that historical fiction quality that leaves me doing research afterward but some of the choices the author made with her characters I thought could've been handled better or just weren't very believable. Most of us in the book club gave it a 5 or 6 (out of 10). It was fun to discuss with others though!

Honey for a Child's Heart was a nice book to skim through and give me ideas on books to get Olivia at the library. I really do want to be one of those families that reads together. But right now I'm lucky if I can get her to sit still for one or two pages of a book that only has one or two words per page! I hope this changes soon. There are sooo many fun books to read!

After reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie I've decided Ryan and I will indeed have another child. And she will be British and we will name her Flavia de Luce. One of the most wonderful heroines I've ever read about....and she was only 11! And this was written by an old man....in the perspective of a young girl...yet still so good and funny! Please go check this book out for yourselves. You'll learn new words....like philatelist. I've got the next one in the series already on hold at the library.

The Hobbit is still collecting dust. Maybe one day I will pick it up again. Too many other books have my attention right now though. Sorry J.R.R. (do you think that's what people called him?)

I finally got around to reading It Sucked, and Then I Cried by everyone's favorite blogger: dooce. I enjoyed it but felt I did know a lot of the story just from her blog. Her ability to look back and be so truthful (and of course sarcastic) about the hard time she faced after her daughter was born is incredible and I think all new moms can appreciate this memoir.

Now I'm reading Little Bee for the next book club pick. So far it's pretty intriguing. And considering all I knew about refugees was from songs the Fugees wrote (one time....two time), I'm learning a lot.

Then maybe I'll get around to reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series that I hear all the buzzing about. Oh and The Godfather. Ryan and I are in the midst of watching the trilogy and now I kind of am obsessed with Italians and the mafia. But if I can't even make it through The Hobbit I'm not sure I can manage this 450 page book unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse....hahahhaha! Get it?

5 comments:

kmom said...

I don't get it, unless it refers to the Godfather, which I don't know much about. I'm glad you are into reading. Great hobby!

Anonymous said...

I get it but I have to admit I haven't seen any of those movies in their entirety. . I can appreciate your love of reading since I'm one of those people who has at least 2 books going at a time. I was so happy when our library became part of the Chemeketa College system online so I can order anything anytime I want and be fairly sure I'll be reading it in a matter of weeks. Happy reading Katie. Love, Mom aka Gma

Kelsey said...

I read Little Bee in my book club! It was a pretty good book I thought. A friend in my book club read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and said it was absolutely horrendous. Very graphic and disturbing...just FYI.

Monique and Granny said...

I remember Book It from fourth grade.

Erin said...

I was all about BOOKIT but my parents wouldn't ever take me to Pizza Hut for the pizza. Wah wah.

Related Posts with Thumbnails