Thursday, September 16, 2010

The reason I wasn't posting last week (Another chapter post)

I'm not gonna lie. It's a little ridiculous how much we accomplished in so little time last week. Things that have been on our "to do list" SINCE WE MOVED IN 3 YEARS AGO got done in a few days. I think we need to have birthday parties here more often! Here are some of the shots of things we were busy doing!

Chapter 1: Woodwork
Ryan and our friend (who we owe a HUGE thanks to) Nate tackled replacing the rotten woodwork on the outside front of our house on Labor Day. There is still a little painting that needs to get done but I'm soooo impressed with their work. Here's a before and after.
(2 of the windows still need work but I'm sure we'll get to that by her second birthday)
And close up before and after

Chapter 2: Yardwork
Yeah I can't take credit for this. But I did delegate this task to the man who can beautify anything! I informed my dad his project for Friday morning was to breathe life back into the flowers that had withered in the extreme Oklahoma heat since the last time he was here.
And yes he did sweep that patio so clean I walked barefoot all day on it without a single pecan shell in my sole!

Chapter 3: Dining Room Chair Re-upholstery
While the men did outside house work on Labor Day, Janine and I reupholstered my dining room chairs. This literally took MAYBE an hour of my time. I'm not sure why I waited so long to do this. These were my grandparents chairs and as long as I have ever seen them they have looked like this:
Underneath that blue velvet was this:
I liked it actually but it did not match the surrounding area so we covered them in this:
Love, love, love it! And so cheap to do! Maybe $15 worth of fabric (for 6 chairs) and a staple gun is all you need!

Chapter 4: Coffee Table
Once I put down these rugs in our living room that belonged to my great grandmother, I didn't like the coffee table anymore. So I upholstered some cushions to replace the glass with and bought baskets to go underneath for miscellaneous storage. Here's what it looks like now!

Chapter 5: Cupcakes
Thanks to this book and to my friends Shannon (who told me where to buy stuff) and Allison (who loaned me her Wilton tips and came over early Saturday to help me stack them) we made the adorable and yummy cupcake pyramid for Liv's party.
The faux candles were made from Pirouettes, pretzles, Banana runts, and orange icing. Yep I was pretty proud of us.


Chapter 6: Playhouse
I've been working on this on and off since mid-summer and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I can slip it over a card table for an instant playhouse and fold it all up when done! The flowers, birds, apples, and butterflies are all removable. You can even put mail in the mailbox! I got the idea from this lady's etsy site. You can order patterns or you can order a whole playhouse (for WAY too much money) I took the cheapeast route and bought my own felt and made up my own patterns for under probably 30 bucks.
Here's a cute video before I'd sewn the sides together of Ryan, Liv, and Charlie playing in it.

video
Chapter 7: Other home projects
We also started painting the trim in the hallway and repainting the doors. We got most of this accomplished. And Ryan put down thresholds where we needed them and I replaced all of our pictures in frames and decorated this wall in our bedroom...finally!
There might've been more but that's enough for you to understand why blogging was on hiatus at least!

10 comments:

kmom said...

I was amazed at everything you accomplished inside and outside the house. What about celebrating Olivia's half birthday (18mo), since she seems to be a great motivator.

Monique and Granny said...

Wow! You guys did a great job!

H said...

You are so impressive, I love the play house!

H said...

You are so impressive, I love the play house!

Shannon said...

ohh i love it! i cant wait to make a playhouse like that oneday and a quietbook! the house looks great too!

Kayla said...

Awesome job on everything!!!

Anonymous said...

What can I say? WOW! The house looks wonderful and all the projects are very impressive. Do you guys hire out? Mom I

lauren and brad said...

You did soooo much! And it all looked so good!

Leslie said...

she's like, "dad, you're on crack. i can see your long legs all hanging out the side."

my birthday is coming up in a few months. any chance you could do a party for me too??? :)

fearlesschef said...

Katie, I'd really like to make one of these for my baby for Christmas and I was wondering if you could do either a post about how you made this, what material you used, sewing machine types, etc or if you could just email me and give me some tips. Thanks! I'm so excited about this!

Laura
fearlesschef at hotmail dot com

Related Posts with Thumbnails