Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book Review

Well I only have two book reviews to do this month but there are some good reasons why
1. Because the other two I'm reading are long and I'm reading them at the same time
2. I've been greatly distracted by watching the Friday Night Lights series on Netflix. Lauren talked me into it and I'm hooked. Don't judge.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I guess the third reason could be because this book was long and complicated. But I liked it a lot. For those who don't know it's a trilogy and it's been translated from Swedish I believe so the names are confusing and the characters are plentiful. It's a great suspense, mystery, drama novel and I do want to read the other two but I'm in no hurry. It does have some disturbing violent scenes in it that I was forewarned about, but they didn't last for too many pages so I could skim the gross parts when necessary. I give it an 8.5 (Has anyone seen the foreign film? Is it any good?)



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Long title but pretty good book. This was our book club book last month. It's unique in that the whole book's story unfolds through letters written back and forth between people after WWII. I really liked the main character in the novel but the story kind of got off track in points and there seemed to be a lot of different tangents the author wanted to go on but overall I still liked it and give it an 8. My favorite quotes from this book are

"I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with."

"That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book. and that tiny thing will lead you onto another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive-all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment."

I got to choose the book for next month's book club meeting and after changing my mind 400 times I chose Room by Emily Donoghue. I heard good things about it from a few people and it's sold out everywhere so it must be intriguing right? We'll see. Hopefully I can stop watching Friday Night Lights long enough to read it and finish those other two on my nightstand! What are you reading?


5 comments:

Michelle said...

Just finished the hunger games...all three books, in three days....loved it!

Anonymous said...

Sign Language Interpreters in Court: Understanding Best Practices by Carla Mathers. Fascinating read about what SC:L interpreters do in court and what laws affect us. Jessica Van Winkle

The Moores said...

I just finished Girl With the Dragon Tatoo and I agree, I had to skip a few paragraphs that were a little too disturbing. But I loved it and really want to see the movie, but I'm going to have to wait til David works a night shift, cause I don't think I can get him to sit through 2 1/2 hours of Swedish.
Right now I'm reading Room, too. Can I come to your book club next month? :)

Becky Welch said...

We got Friday Night Lights Season One for Christmas - have not started it yet, but now I am ready!

I am reading Radical and Love Finds You In Victory Heights, Washington. I needed an easy read! I have Hunger Games ready for me!!!!

tricia said...

I've tried to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo about a million times, but I cant seem to get through the first 20-30 pages or so. Everyone says good things about it, so I rented the movie, and then the subtitles drove me nuts for some reason :) The American version of the movie is coming out this year or next year I think! Must try to re-read the book....

Related Posts with Thumbnails