Monday, February 07, 2011

Book Review

The Poisonwood Bible. This fiction book follows a missionary families trials in the Congo in the late 1950's. Much of the history is true and the whole book is told through the various perspectives of the wife and 4 children (all daughters). I loved this book and would probably give it a 10 except for the fact that it goes on for many years. I was interested in the book while they lived in Africa but when it started following the aftermath and what happened years later I wasn't as interested. Much like East of Eden, I think I just like my books to focus on a few years rather than generations. I still give this book a 9 though.


The Mysterious Benedict Society caught my eye at the book store and although it is a junior fiction book I thought I would love it based on the reviews that it was similar to Roald Dahl books. Maybe I drug out the reading of this book to long and read other books in between but I just didn't find it that exciting. I found myself thinking that the book was trying to get kids to become conspiracy theorists or hate the government (which Ryan pointed out the Hunger Games could too but I liked those books). Either way I just didn't find it all that exciting. I give it a 5.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a unique junior fiction book that a friend loaned me and although it's like 600 pages you can read it in an hour or two because it's a graphic novel so most of it is pictures. It's a fun mysterious tale of young French boy in the early 20th century and there's lots of fun true historical facts about movies, automatons, and magicians. I loved it and thought it was very creative. I give it a 9.




And lastly was my pick for our book club last month and I'm glad I picked it. Room is a page turner for sure and will have you thinking about all sorts of different things when you aren't reading it. It's told through the eyes of a 5 year old boy who lives in an 11x11 room with only his mother. You don't know why they are there for quite awhile but the boy was born there and his mother has never told him there is a world outside of room. I think I finished this book in 2 days and we had some great discussions about it at this little restaurant (where you should go on Saturdays at noon to watch cute old people dance to German music). My favorite question brought up was "Would I parent my child any differently if the pressures of society didn't matter?" I won't answer this out loud but it's a good question. I give this book a 10 and not just because I picked it, it really is good!

Now I am trying to make it through Animal, Vegetable, Miracle but I think it will be a slow process and our next month's book is The Memory Palace, which I'm pretty excited to read. I also hear that book by Snooki is pretty hilarious so I might have to take a gander. What are you reading?

3 comments:

Annaleise said...

Animal, vegetable, miracle and the snow storms makes me think about how non-self-sustaining we are. Our grocery stores were ransacked and many were empty when trucks couldn't make it to refill the shelves. If there was any major disaster or war in our country we would all be in big trouble! Maybe we all need to start growing gardens, canning, and having chickens! :)

The Moores said...

Right now I'm in the middle of Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. It's not going to change the world or win any literary awards or anything, but it is such a sweet and funny (also true) romace story. If you want an easy read so you can just let your mind go, I recommend it.

JanaGriffis said...

I just finished reading The Catcher in the Rye. I had wanted to read this book for so long due to the fact that I know several people that find it amazing and one of their favorite's. (If I remember correctly from reading your profile months ago, it is one of yours as well?)

I must say that I did not enjoy it. I was extrememly disappointed with the entire story and it left me annoyed at the end of every page. I thought I enjoyed the writing style during the first few chapters but later grew very sick of hearing his silly catch phrases. I am told that this is one of the reasons why people like this book so much. "It makes the character seem more real." To me, it made the character quite the opposite.

I just started reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It's about a 15 year old boy with autism. I'm really anxious to read it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails