Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Book Review!

I'm not sure who enjoyed this book more, me or my mom who had her nightly flashlight reading in bed, dreaming of Marlboro Man no doubt. (You're lucky she came home to you, dad, instead of trying to find a cowboy in Oklahoma!) This was a cute read about PW and MM's early romance and first year of marriage. I give it an 8. I was amazed at how much she remembers! They've been together like 15 years and I've only been with my hubby like 8-ish but I barely remember our courtship days....there was lots of Taco Bell, but I'm not sure it would make for a good book! Anyway it was a fast easy and fun read so borrow it from a friend because there'll be a LONG wait at your library and until then you can read a lot of it on her blog!


I am speechless about this book. I don't even know where to start but I'm so glad Aunt Dawn recommended it to me. She's always a good source for book recommendations! It was so dark, revolting, twisted, and shocking but somehow also deep inside has a good message about what it means to be "Normal." At first glance I thought this was a book about 2 techno computer nerds who fall in love. HA!! Far from it. I'm willing to bet none of you know what the first definition of "geek" is (check out webster to see). It's about THAT kind of geek. I would give this book a 9 but have a hard time recommending it because you'll just think I'm a freak for loving it as much as I do. It reminds me of The World According to Garp in that you just can't believe the author would 1. Come up with a tale such as this 2. Have the guts to write it! Also thanks to this book I now have another nickname for Liv: Hopalong McGurk. My favorite quote from it was "What greater gift could you offer your children than an inherent ability to earn a living just by being themselves?"

This book was the book club pick for last month and although I missed the meeting due to illness I hear just about everyone enjoyed it and I did too. It's a memoir of a girl whose brilliant mother struggled with schizophrenia that led her to be violent and dangerous at times, alienating her family including the daughter who wrote this. She pretty much hid from her mom for like 20 years but kept in touch through letters sent by friends. It was a sad read but I honestly can't say what I would've done in the daughter's shoes. I went back and forth on my feelings for her, but it's not for me to judge. I give it a 6 or 7. I always like true stories that give you a glimpse into other people's lives. This one definitely made me appreciate my "boring" upbringing much more! I might've THOUGHT my mom was crazy at times, but she never showed up at football games on a loud speaker accusing people of stealing my womb so I guess she wasn't that bad. My favorite quote from the book is actually the author quoting Nicolaus Steno "Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend."

I also just finished The Color Purple, which is this month's book club selection, but I won't review it until after our meeting because that is just cheating! I have some others on reserve at the library so who knows what will be next. What are you reading?


2 comments:

The Moores said...

Ok, the first definition of "geek"? GROSS! I just don't know if I'll be able to get around to reading that one :). Glad you like Black Heels, I was amazed too at all the things she remembered. No way I could write a book about David and me with such detail.

Leslie said...

Just wrapped up "Faithful Place" by Tara...french? Can't remember her last name. Um...4? Book Club book.

Animal, Veg, Miracle = 97% through = love.

Inside of a Dog = just the free sample downloaded onto the Kindle, but awesome so far!

Related Posts with Thumbnails