Sunday, April 17, 2011

Full Circle

When I was a kid on Sunday nights, my parents didn't make a "real" supper. We usually had cheddar popcorn and watched America's Funniest Home Videos with beloved host Bob Saget. This was a big deal because we NEVER got to eat anywhere but at the table. Plus it was fun because popcorn is like junk food and my parents were telling me to junk food and watch TV! Good times. I realized I was carrying on the tradition when Liv and I were eating popcorn on the couch tonight and I turned on the TV and lo and behold AFV still comes on Sunday nights!
Tom Bergeron is no Bob Saget, but he's alright. It was a good tradition 20 years ago and a good tradition today!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We watched this tonight too!
Celeste

The Moores said...

We had the same AFV tradition growing up! Does Ryan remeber that? Only it wasn't popcorn, it was salami sandwiches in front of the TV. Can't say I miss Bob Saget, though.

Allison Harms said...

We had the exact same tradition! We would spread a blanket on the floor in the living room and eat on it. My mom told me later in life that she used to put saltines in the bowl so we would think we were eating popcorn. Apparently we weren't too bright.

TLKOREGON said...

AFV, salami sandwiches, and dill pickles...goes together like PB & J. =) Those were good times. I am with Carrie though, I do like Tom better than Bob. =) I love those full circle moments.

Anonymous said...

We did the exact same thing, had popcorn, fruit and cakes sometimes while watching bob, but we went to grandma and grandpa's house every sunday night for that. Wow I'm surprised several of us have the same tradition. Jessica Van Winkle

Anonymous said...

Our family tradition was to go to Uncle Pops (now my own house) and watch Bonanza IN COLOR and eat fried egg and bacon sandwiches. I obviously didn't carry on that tradition with my own kids but we made up our own. Yep! Salami sandwiches with dill pickles, and AFV. I am more of a Tom fan than a Bob fan though. Love ya all, Mom aka Gma

Leslie said...

hungry for popcorn now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails