Thursday, April 14, 2011

No Bake, No Problem

I like other people's cooking blogs of various recipes. I often get new dinner ideas from blogs, especially when there's lots of pics to go along, like on PW, so I know I can't go wrong. I thought I'd try my hand at sharing a few recipes that I make a lot. First up is no bake cookies (or as we called them growing up, chocolate oatmeal cookies...or as my sister calls them "doo doo cookies"). It takes a special touch to get these right, but once you know the secret they are sooo easy and they are sooo worth it! First you'll need 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup of milk, 4 Tbsp cocoa, and 1 stick o' butter.
Add them all together in a saucepan to melt, stirring occasionally.
The goal is to bring this yummy goo to a boil. Ready yet?
Nope. So get together the rest of the ingredients while you wait. 1/2 cup peanut butter, 2 1/2 cups of oats, 2 tsp vanilla.
Then lay out wax paper for the cookies to dry on.
(secret: put paper towels underneath to prevent from sticking to the counter top)
Ready yet?
Nope. While you're waiting for the liquidy goodness to come to a boil you can turn on some tunes.
Ready yet?
Nope, but getting closer.
See the southern hemisphere isn't committed fully to the "rolling boil." Eat some Easter candy while you wait.
Check again. Ready yet?
Ah now it is!
Now set your timer for exactly one minute. If it doesn't boil long enough they won't dry and you'll be eating them with a spoon (still delicious and I've never gotten any complaints) If it boils too long, they are dry and crusty. Once it's been a minute, remove from heat and add the peanut butter and vanilla.
Stir together then slowly add in the oats.
Keep stirring. But don't take too long or it will start to harden.
Once it's all mixed together like so....
you can begin dropping by spoonfuls onto the wax paper.
Give em about 30 minutes to dry and you're done! While they're drying I like to lick the spoon (in a creepy blurry way).
Then I set up a barricade because Charlie is fond of these cookies.
Now serve up to your friends but be warned once you make them, they will be requested often!! I have no problem obliging requests for them though!

6 comments:

The Moores said...

Wummy! These might just be what makes me fall off my "trying really hard to eat healthy and loose weight by summer" wagon. Thanks!

Erin said...

I love those cookies!! If it weren't 9:15 at night, I'd go try my hand at a batch. Maybe this weekend!!

ktsdad said...

Never thought I'd ever hear either of my offspring giving cooking tips! Ya' just never know!

Anonymous said...

We used to make these cookies when I cooked at camp Yamhill, except the recipe would be for 300. They are yummy! Love ya, Mom aka Gma

tricia said...

we make these cookies too-i LOVE them!

JanaGriffis said...

If you only knew how much my husband and our friends love your no bake cookies!! Haha!

...in fact, any time anyone brings up no bake cookies, it's always brought up that yours were the best!

Related Posts with Thumbnails