Friday, May 06, 2011

Book Review

Lately I've been asked by a few people how I can read so many books so fast with a toddler. Is it fast to read a book in a few days? I don't know. Maybe I'm a fast reader. Maybe I should be cleaning my house instead of reading. But I am awake usually at least an hour or more before my daughter so I read in the morning for a bit. I usually read during part of her 2 hour nap. And I read some in the evening after she goes to bed. If you can read 50 pages a day, you can finish a 350 page book in a week. I don't think I'm a super fast reader, at times I do skim, but I read more than I watch TV, I think it's as simple as that. Don't get cable, get a library card! (plus anything you want to watch is online....I just finished Dexter season 5 and will have to blog about that later!) Anyway here are the books I've read since the last review.....

Pictures of You--Booooo! hurray! I finally found a book I hated so much I couldn't finish it! That's rare people.....very rare. I don't remember who told me to read this, but I'm sorry it was awful. It should be made into a Lifetime movie because that is the genre it fits into. Predictable plot, boring characters, and I think the author must be 15. I kept on reading for over 200 pages then I just had to come to terms that my life is too important to waste it on this book. I give it a 0. Maybe even a -1.



A Red Herring without Mustard is the 3rd Flavia de Luce book in the series and I enjoyed it about as much as the first 2 which is a lot! She continues to crack me up and I'm hoping these books will be made into a movie. Although I am starting to wonder how many more murders can happen in this small British town that an 11 year old can solve? I guess we could ask Angela Lansberry that same question! I give it a 9.


Cutting for Stone--This is a long one and has it's slow moments but I really enjoyed it. Since I usually have a hard time with epic tales that follow someone's whole life--I'm usually just interested in one portion of the tale--I wasn't sure if I could finish this but I did and I'm so glad I did! I give it an 8. I loved learning lots of history about Ethiopia and there was so much medical information about all sorts of surgeries, pregnancy, diseases, but it was fun to learn about! Parts at the end seemed a little unbelievable to me but it's a work of fiction so I let it go. There were some pretty sad things in it and I even paused and tried to cry because I know most humans would, but I didn't. I just don't cry much at sad books or movies with humans in them, but you will NOT see me ever reading Marley and Me! I would recommend this book to anyone who liked The Poisonwood Bible or books of that nature. My favorite quote from this book was "The world turns on our every action, and our every omission, whether we know it or not." (I think this will be a movie in 2013)

Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child is the parenting book I read this month and it is my favorite so far. To sum it up it's all about validating your child's feelings (not necessarily their behaviors) by being an "emotion coach." When someone's feeling aren't validated they lose confidence in themselves (for an example on how NOT to be an emotion coach read a lovely story about my doctor during Olivia's birth) By utilizing the steps of an emotion coach--be aware of child's emotions, recognize emotional expressions as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching, listen and validate child's feelings, label emotions in words they can understand, and help them solve problems or come up with appropriate ways to handle upsetting situations--a child can grow up to learn to handle the various tough life situations that will undoubtedly arise but be able to confidently make choices to help get through them. Anyway that's enough, but I give it a 10 and recommend it highly to all parents or people who work with kids. It gives lots of examples on how to "emotion coach" children of all ages. Here is a fun photo of my hubby's face when I asked him to take the parenting style quiz portion of the book. He thought it was 10 questions, then he turned the page and found out it was like 90. Haha! But he was a good sport and finished it with minimal grumbling....

The Perks of Being a Wallflower--This was the pick for book club this month and I really liked it. Even a slow reader could finish it in a day or two! It's a "coming of age" book that will take you back to your good ole high school days and emotions. I'm a fan of coming of age books so it was pretty easy for me to like this one. I think the character went through about every kind of teenage issue a person can go through in one year (which seems a little drastic), but this aspect probably helps any reader feel like they can relate to him. I give it a 9. My favorite quote from the book is "I look at the football field and I think about the boy who just made the touchdown. I think these are the glory days for that boy and this moment will just be another story someday because all the people who make touchdowns and home runs will be somebody's dad. And when his children look at his yearbook photograph, they will think that their dad was rugged and handsome and looked a lot happier than they are. I just hope I remember to tell my kids that they are as happy as I look in my old photographs. And I hope that they believe me." (This will be a movie in 2012 starring Emma Watson)

Esther--You know, the one in the Old Testament. I admit I have a hard time doing a personal Bible study each day, but I know I should be better at it than I am so I borrowed our church's 9 week Beth Moore DVD series that they did a women's class on last summer (I was unable to attend since I was teaching kiddos but ordered the workboook for myself) I'm about halfway through and I'm enjoying it so far but I guess I technically shouldn't be reviewing it until it's done. Then again I can't really give a book in the Bible a bad rating can I?? I guess I can rate Beth Moore though, so I'll leave this to be continued......

That's it for this month but since we're about to go on a trip I already have lots of good books lined up! What are you reading??

6 comments:

The Moores said...

I'm reading The Help right now. It was a little slow at first and took me about a quarter of the book to get really involved with the characters. But I'm really enjoying it!

Tarren and Erin said...

Katie, I really appreciate your book reviews. I have been reading many of your review selections and have really enjoyed them. Thanks!

Leslie said...

I heart Flavia de Luce.

Breck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shawn and Becky said...

I don't have a ton of time to read, or more likely is I need to make more time to read, but I'm definitely going to look into the book on child emotions. Penelope has taught me so much along the same line as she deals with kids each day. It's pretty powerful to watch it in action. I'll be checking my local library soon!

Hi, I'm Deanna. said...

Hey Katie!
It's Deanna, Matt and Shannon's sister. Shan told me to check out your site for books reviews because I am looking for something new. I think I will start the Flavia de Luce series. I am sure you have a huge list to read but you could add to it The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Yes, she is the author of the Twilight series which I have not read but this is separate. She may not be the best writer ever but this is an enthralling story. It is a little sci-fi but not too much.

Related Posts with Thumbnails