Monday, July 18, 2011

My First Layer Cake

Ever since the Schatzels decided to have a gender party, (where they cut the cake to find out if their 3rd baby is a boy or a girl depending on the pink or blue cake inside) I told her I wanted to make the cake. She said that wouldn't be fair because then I'd know the sex of her baby before she did, to which I replied THAT'S THE POINT! She finally saw it my way and I gladly took the sealed envelope home with the sonographer's determination on the inside. Luckily I didn't see her the rest of the week until the party or else I would not have been able to keep this secret!
So what color is on the inside??? You'll have to watch this amazing video first to find out. And then watch it again because it's just that awesome!
They were pretty certain it was another boy. Her reaction to this is about as great as this video. To see pics from the rest of the awesome party go to their blog and tell them how excited you are they are having a girl!!

Anyway here is my tutorial on making a layered cake. First bake according to the instructions on the cake mix you buy (what you thought I made it from scratch??....baby steps people, baby steps). Let the cakes cool completely, then take them out of the pans.
Then take your store bought icing.....
And plop it in your mixer.
By whipping it up you can double the amount and make it lighter and fluffier. See?
Next decide how you want to mash the layers together. I didn't need a perfectly flat top, so I put the bottoms together with icing in the middle. Now it looks a hamburger.
Then spread a thin layer of icing all over the cake.
Some crumbs might peel off the cake but that's ok.
Then put in your fridge to chill for an hour or so (thanks Allison for this tip!)
Then take out and finish icing to make it prettier.
I'm no expert but I thought I did pretty good on the icing not to let any pink crumbs show!! I put it in the fridge until about an hour before the party. Then I took it out and decorated it with blueberries and raspberries.
The berry juices did run down the side a bit due to the EXTREME temperatures in driving a mile down the street to Lo's house but that just kept all the guests guessing! Thanks Lo sooo much for letting me make the cake. It was a rough secret to keep but it was worth it!

Fun Fact: Ryan kept forgetting the word "gender" and wanted to call it a 'sex party.' Sort of the same thing but could be taken entirely the wrong way. Either way I think I will say I made my first layer cake for a sex party. Go ahead, leave me a comment mom :)

14 comments:

Erin said...

Cute!! I am kind of wanting to have a "sex party" too since we just texted the gender of Haylie. It looks like so much fun!! Great job on the cake!

lauren and brad said...

"looks like a hamburger." how appropriate! I will never be able to hear that phrase without thinking of you! You teach me so many things friend! :)

thanks for the best sex cake ever.

Anonymous said...

The video made me cry. What a great idea for a party. And you must be a very special friend for her to entrust that information with you before even knowing herself. Congrats to the parents of a growing baby girl. Mom aka Gma

TLKOREGON said...

I am in love with this video. I think I have watched it 50 times. I love seeing everybody's reactions! I cried like the first 10 times. So great!!! Nice job on the cake btw.

H said...

that video is awesome! Your cake looks amazing!!

Anonymous said...

I've actually heard of people sending out invitations to a "sex party" aka gender revealing party..
Good job on the cake
Chellie

Michelle said...

That video is amazing!

JanaGriffis said...

I guess I should have known better than to watch that video at work. It had me crying at my desk! So sweet! And what I good job on the cake!

Monique said...

Absolutely love the video! Great job on the cake

Leslie said...

i'm still crying.
from seeing that video from yesterday.
or maybe from being a part of the other video.
from 1.5 years ago.
have been crying straight for 1.5 years.

sex cake?! BAHAHsobAHA!!! <---that's me cry/laughing.

Shawn and Becky said...

That was awesome, great video! I'd be so nervous! Did you buy pink cake or color the box cake?!? Also a sex party for a pregnant lady . . . kinda weird :)

Ryan and Katie said...

I used strawberry cake so I didn't have to dye the batter

Ted and Anne said...

What a cute idea! Great job on the cake Katie...her reaction was priceless :)

Brittany said...

Awesome video!! I love how excited they were. The cake looked great too! I am wishing we would have had a "sex" party too. Maybe next time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails