Tuesday, August 02, 2011

And Yet......

So my 10 year high school reunion is coming up in a few weeks. Unfortunately it isn't happening while I'm already in town for 2 weeks, but I'm contemplating making it back here for it. And I'm not sure why. It's pretty weird to think that when I come home I'm usually hoping I don't run into someone I know...which is impossible when you're from a small town. So to PURPOSEFULLY go to something where I'm GUARANTEED to see people that I'm usually hoping to avoid seems pretty ironic. And there's no particular reason I don't want to see people. It's not like I have a vendetta or even bad memories (I actually really liked most of high school), I guess it's just all the small talk it requires. And the fact that they knew me when I was a crazy awkward adolescent (and trust me, reading those journals makes me HIGHLY aware how crazy I was). But then there are some people that I really would like to see that aren't on facebook and seem to have dropped off the face of the earth that I know will be there so it might be nice to see them...but then what? We make small talk and say how old our kids are and what we do and how we can't believe it's been 10 years and reminisce about the good ol' days and then never speak again. So what's the point? And yet....I think I really want to go.

I need feedback. Did you go to any of your reunions? What's the point? What do you get out of it? Are you glad you went?And why didn't someone tweeze those bushy things on my forehead?!

P.S. If anyone from high school is reading this and thinking that you are in fact the person I don't want to see. It's not you....or is it....it probably is. Just kidding. Totally kidding. I really don't mean for this post to sound rude. I just need to figure it out before I drive 20 hours in one short weekend.

7 comments:

Katie Bl said...

I generally have similar sentiments about not wanting to see people when I go home. However, if I had the time off and weren't getting married a few weeks later I would totally go to mine. I even created the Facebook page for it!

Nicole said...

Mine isn't until next year, and even though I was not a class officer, I have a feeling I will end up organizing the entire thing. I'd love to see everyone...if they're not as b****y as they were in 2002

Leslie said...

we totally went to ours! well, dev was the boss of it, so we kind of had to, but I probably would have tried to go anyway. that being said, we didn't have a 20 hour drive...

okcowgirl421 said...

I went to mine. It was alright. Saw some people I loved seeing that I probably wouldn't have seen elsewhere, had some awkward moments when people I didn't recognize said "hi Beth!", and actually had some really good conversation with a couple of unexpected people. All in all, I'd say it was a good time. I'm closer to my 20 year than the 10 (eeek!) now... I'm thinking I'll probably go to the next one. If you go with (or find someone there) who's as laid back as you and isn't there to prove something, it can be quite entertaining!

Chellie said...

I went to mine and had fun. I did have one girl call me the wrong name, but I never liked her anyway! haha
It was fun. There was a lot of awkward conversation but there was also really good food. I too had some good talks with a couple of unlikely people.
On the other hand, we tried to go to part of Nate's (a picinic) and drove by but there were like 5 people there so we never stopped.

reborn1995 said...

i didn't go to mine. i knew a couple people who did. From what i heard it was largely a party for the "in" crowd. A significant number of my friends back then weren't in the same grade as me. So i'm glad i didn't go.

--guy

Kara Scharrer said...

I feel the exact same way! I'm always trying to avoid people from high school when I go home. I am from a small town, too, which makes avoiding everyone from high school impossible. I did not go to my 10 year high school reunion this summer. It was an easy decision for me because all my class did was have a "senior keg" and I don't drink. Did you decide to go?

Related Posts with Thumbnails