Friday, August 12, 2011

The House That Built Me

From Indiana we hitched a ride with Grammy and Papa (Aka: my mom and dad) back to Tennessee for another cousin's wedding that was 2 weeks later. This is the house I spent the my adolescent years in.
My parents built it when I was in the 3rd grade. My dog is buried in the back yard. My hermit crab is buried under this tree. (We loved you Sebastian but not enough to get you a headstone like Seymour) Before there was the internet this was the way we diagnosed all my weird medical ailments growing up: an encyclopedia and a medical dictionary. I think my sister accurately diagnosed H.Pylori and some other disease where my tongue turned black using that medical dictionary. Impressive.


Although my parents live very close to town there is quite a bit of land behind their house. This use to be a sewage lagoon long long again.
But now it's a pond filled with fish....anyone wanna swim in it? Yeah I never have, and I've never seen anyone else either. I took a walk back there one evening....
......scared a few deer from the brush, got one tick, and got spooked by a horse that was behind me!
I had no idea any animals were still kept back there! And that's how I knew I've lived in the big city too long, when I'm scared by a horse. Oh look a few more showed up too!


In this shed there used to be a rusted deep freeze full of playboy magazines from the 70's. Then it was full of shredded playboy magazines from the 70's. Don't ask me how I know this.

I'm 90% sure there's also a rusted dump truck buried in all of those weeds to the left too. Don't ask me how I know this either.

The fun thing about a town you grew up in, especially when it's small, is that there is a story to go with everything you see. Every place in town brings back a memory. The church parking lot where I learned to drive, the street I used to sell girl scout cookies on, the driveway my sister and I had a scooter accident in, the cemetery where I had a huge argument with an ex boyfriend, the bank we used to turn around in while cruising "the strip", the driveway where I had my first kiss, the trees we climbed in the neighbors yard, the church camp I spent every summer, and so on and so on.
It's weird to go home because it isn't my home anymore, but it's still very much a part of me. My family is there and a handful of friends are still there, but my life is in Oklahoma now. (I can't believe I've lived here 10 years!) As much as I wanted to leave Henderson when I was 18, I sure am glad I was raised there. And I love going "home" and feeling nostalgic. It always makes me wonder what Olivia will hold dear to her when she comes back to visit the places that shaped the person she will grow up to be.


To conclude this post, just listen to the song below, think about the place you grew up, and if you're like my sis-in-law, you may need a tissue. (Sorry Laura!)

Up next....more Tennessee adventures!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well put. I enjoyed my time in Henderson with you all very much even if I was going through a phase. Having grown up in Jackson, Henderson was quite serene for me. -April B.

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet blog. All of us who grew up in small town America know where you're coming from. Love yall, Mom aka Gma

kmom said...

I've not ever been back in the horse field, but I knew there were horses there now. That might be the shed or barn that David Guinn 2 houses down told me about. I think it was his Dad's. He used to play in the creek down by the railroad track and told me to watch out for snakes if I walked in the field behind us. I never saw any, but then I had my trusty sidekick, Seymour the wonder watchdog with me. I haven't been brave enough to go alone.

ktsdad said...

Your father seriously thinks you need to be a writer :-)

Leslie said...

wait a second. who shredded the playboys??

kmom said...

More than 4 years later I'm grateful for this post. I don't remember reading it before, but evidently I did. Thank you for sharing your memories. Love, Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails