Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I like my house because....

...of my new bedroom. We've had the same bedroom look for 6 years now and although I still like it, it was time for a change. We didn't have much to spend and I still wanted to be able to rotate looks, ya know, when I get tired of this one so I can switch it back! Here's the before and after, then I'll break it down for you.

Before
After
Originally I was inspired by a throw that I found in TN that my grandmother crocheted. I based all the colors off of it and thought it would look good with the existing wall color and I would put it at the end of the bed. When it all came together I loved everything about the room....except the throw. It didn't mesh well. So I guess it will go back to TN unless I find another place for it!
The curtains are from Pier One, the bedding we already had (it's the same tan duvet just with skirt added and white quilt at the end). The throw pillows I just bought at Ross. Let me interrupt to say that I thought I might buy some pillows from Macy's because I had a gift card. DO YOU KNOW HOW RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE PILLOWS ARE AT DEPARTMENT STORES? The going rate was $100!!!! FOR A THROW PILLOW! I hightailed it out of the mall and got these three beauties for like $7 each. (the brown one is actually more green but it looks brown in all the photos)
But the best part of the whole room is the head board. I feel like such a grown up to have a head board. We went to Mathis Brothers in hopes of finding a dinged up one in the "as is" section, but this beat any hopes I had. It's actually a foot board. And it's Hooker brand. And they had lumped two foot boards with rails together for $30!! (That's less than a throw pillow at Macy's!)
I think the sales lady thought I was crazy. She kept saying "but it's just a footboard." I tried to explain my hubby was a handyman and could prop it up on some wood or something for me. She just shrugged and rung us up! (The other foot board is in our garage awaiting other crafty plans, or for a day when we have a master bedroom larger than 100 sq. ft so we could actually put the foot board at the foot of the bed!)

After it was all done I noticed the curtain fabric matches my Vera Bradley journal.
And that's it. No painting, no major expenses, but a fresh new look that I love! Thanks HGTV, Pinterest, and grandmother for inspiring me! Now onto that kitchen renovation.....I have a feeling it won't be as cheap or inexpensive.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I like it. I actually thought about buying those curtains for the nursery before I found my other bedding.
Celeste

Anonymous said...

I love it. Good job Katie. You've been very busy. Wish I could have watched Olivia for you while you tarried away. Love, Mom aka Gma

Leslie said...

great work! i just had the same breakdown about pillows. i love them so and now that i've got a taste, i don't want to even look at the other, more affordable, ones. protesting. not getting any.

grrrr.

your room looks so cozy now!! can't wait to see kitchen.

AM said...

Looks great Katie! Awesome find at mathis brothers!

JanaGriffis said...

Love it!! It's so cute!

We're in the process of making some cheap and easy home renovations too.. they're never as cheap as I want them to be though! :)

The Moores said...

Very cute. I love those curtains!

Erin said...

Great job! I love the new look. I can't believe the prices on pillows either - ridiculous. Sooo thankful for Ross.

StartingYourBusinessTodayAdvisor said...

Nice blog work. I came across your blog while blog surfing using the “next blog” button on the Nav Bar of blogger.com. I am continually fascinated by the types of blogs that exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people all over the globe express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails