Friday, September 23, 2011

I got 99 problems but a book ain't one...

I think you saw from my last post that I haven't been reading much. I have been lusting after a fictitious ad man instead. I've actually started quite a few books recently but couldn't get into any of them. I don't know if Mad Men can be blamed or lack of good literature. Either way I only have one book to review right now because it's the only one I've read in weeks. But I have faith next month I'll be back to normal. I hope so.

Decoded is a semi-autobiographical book by Jay-Z (Shawn Carter). I say "semi" because he intersperses his life story with song lyrics and he breaks them down and explains their meaning. You know...for us white folk that just don't get it. It's a very unique and interesting read. I give it a 7.5 but I don't think it's for everyone. After you read it, I think it would be hard to argue that rap music isn't a poetic art form. You don't have to like it, but I think he does a great job explaining the music and stigma that goes along with it. If you loathe rap music then you might just read it and chalk it up to a bunch of bs, but I thought it was well written. But I'm a fan of rap music who is not a fan of ever analyzing why I like anything. But if you feel like you need to analyze why you like to crank up the radio and blare "Super Bass" then you might just like this book.

P.S. If you didn't see this girl on Ellen you need to check her out. Especially her versions of Super Bass and Look At Me Now. She has a bunch of other covers too. I love her!

Up next I'm re-reading A Million Little Pieces for book club, then the Goon Squad book, then maybe one of the other 4 I've tried to start but couldn't get into. What are you reading?

1 comment:

JanaGriffis said...

A Million Little Pieces is one of my favorites. I hope you like it.

But I do tend to favor books that deal with crazy people or losers.. so maybe my opinions on books isn't the best. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails